Senior Reflection: Avery Jones

[/media-credit] Avery Jones, ’20, reflects on her time on The Feather as she prepares to graduate, May 21.

As I look back on my time here at Fresno Christian, I am reminded of everyone who has impacted my life and shaped me into the person I am today. Finishing my 11th year at Fresno Christian I am leaving feeling overwhelmed with love and joy.

I joined The Feather photojournalism team my junior year. Before then, I had never even held a camera in my hand which intimidated me from the start. Thoughts of self doubt ran through my head as I questioned whether I was able to take on my new role as a photojournalist.

I’m not going to lie, the beginning was a little rocky trying to learn everything but I quickly found myself getting better each day. My junior year I was led by current FC alumni’s Kaylie Clem and Julia Fikse. With their guidance and patience, they gave me a confidence behind a camera that I never thought was possible. Looking up to them as the photo editors instilled in me a drive to work harder so that one day I could be someone others look up to just as they were there for me.

Starting my senior year as the photojournalist editor was exciting but a little scary as I new I had big shoes to fill. This past year I led a team of five photojournalists, helping edit, mentor and teach them what it takes to be an efficient photojournalist.

As I look back at my life before I joined The Feather to now, I see significant growth not only in my photography and writing but in myself as well. I now have the confidence to approach anyone I come in contact with and have a conversation, something I would have felt uncomfortable with before joining The Feather.

As my time here on The Feather staff comes to a close there are many people I would like to thank including my three advisers, Kori James (formerly Friesen), Greg Stobbe, and Robert Hyatt.

James, thank you for being my rock these past two years. Thank you for not only being my photojournalism adviser but my mentor and friend. Without your advice and daily encouragement I wouldn’t be the person I am today. There aren’t enough words I could use to express my thankfulness I have towards you.

[/media-credit] Jones would like to thank James for all that she has taught her throughout her two years on The Feather.

Henry Brooks Adams once said, “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” I never quite understood this quote until now. James, you have shown me a whole new perspective on what photography is and what it can be and for that I am forever grateful. I will use your life lessons and teachings forever as they have taught me so much.

Stobbe, without you I wouldn’t be the writer I am today. Thank you for never giving up on me and always helping me with whatever I need. Your advice and knowledge you have shared will stick with me forever. Anyone would be lucky enough to have a conversation with you let alone be mentored by you for two years. I am truly grateful for everything you have done for me.

Hyatt, thank you for bringing so much joy and laughter to the team I never knew I needed. You make any situation better by being there and I can speak for all of us on The Feather staff when I say, thank you for everything you do for us it does not go unnoticed.

There are so many great stories I could share from The Feather but in the end what I will remember most from this team is all the people that I have gone through this journey with. I always refer to The Feather as my school family because I know that there is always someone willing to help me and people that encourage me daily.

The Feather has taught me so many things but most importantly it has taught me to step out of my comfort zone. I’ve learned to not be afraid to tell the hard stories, give a voice to the voiceless, and to always ask questions.

To my family, thank you for always encouraging me not only with my photography but in everything I do. To all of my teachers, thank you for shaping me into the person I am today. I have such an appreciation for teachers now seeing the impact they have not only made in my life, but in many other students lives. Thank you for everything.

If I could encourage my younger classmates with one thing, I would say to live each day like its your last. My senior year didn’t end how any of us expected it to, but I am so thankful for the memories I did get these past four years of high school.

To anyone on the fence about joining The Feather, don’t worry you are not alone because I was in the same position my sophomore year. Looking back I am so thankful I took the leap of faith and joined because I would have missed out on so many opportunities The Feather has given me.

[/media-credit] One of Jones’ favorite memories from her time on The Feather was traveling on the CV Honor Flight as a photographer.

Now soon graduating I am leaving high school with a CSPA Silver Crown and NSPA Pacemaker award. Some of my best memories from high school come from The Feather including photographing above the sky in a hot air ballon, traveling on the CV Honor Flight with 68 Vietnam veterans as a photographer, attending the NSPA conference in LA, and photographing the first female Prime Minister of Australia.

To anyone who is interested in joining, don’t be afraid to try it out. The Feather is not for everyone, it is a lot of hard work and dedication but what I have gained from this team is worth all of the work and late nights.

I must close with this, to anyone who is presented with the opportunity to be instructed by Stobbe and Friesen, take it.

After graduating Fresno Christian, Jones will attend Grand Canyon University in the fall of 2020 where she will study Business Marketing. 

For more on senior reflections, read Senior reflection: Kaylie Clem and  Senior Reflection: Alexander Rurik.

For more Feather articles, read COLUMN: Outward thinking leads high school students to volunteer in community.

For more Feather photos, visit media, photos 2019-20

The following slideshow contains some of Jones’ favorite images she has taken throughout her two years on The Feather.