March Madness inspires WSL

Similar to most basketball fanatics, the West Sierra League (WSL) focuses on March Madness. Although many only watch the games, student leaders themed the upcoming meeting March Madness to discuss the leadership aspect of athletics.

All students were required to read coach John Wooden?s book, Wooden on Leadership, to discuss at the meeting on March 26.

At the monthly gatherings, various schools converse and develop skills to improve each campus’ leadership program. This month, student leaders will meet at Caruthers High.

President Jeremy Ramos, ’07, will lead discussion and encourage students by asking questions from chapter 8 in Wooden?s book, “It Takes 10 Hands To Score A Basket”.

?Every individual is important to a team?s success,? Ramos said. ?Many times in leadership one person gets recognized for the work done planning an event, but we often fail to recognize others who helped make it possible.?

Aside from the book, the WSL representatives will share ideas on upcoming events, such as Sadies and graduation.

?Towards the end of the year, events like Sadies and graduation are the most important,? Ramos said. ?When different schools come together and share ideas it becomes a very valuable time for everyone.?

Caruthers plans to present and demonstrate their recent purchase, a T-Shirt design machine. The school anticipates on using the machine for rallies, functions and prizes.

Along with the three regular WSL attendees, three additional leadership students will participate in the meeting for the first time.

?I?m anxious to see how things are done at WSL,? Alyssa Powell, ?10, said. ?I want to learn how to lead these meetings in the future.?

For more information concerning the last WSL meeting visit the Jan. 30, article, Competitors merge to motivate. If interested in buying a copy of Wooden on Leadership, visit Amazon.com.