COMMENTARY: The new generation of gaming

Kyler Garza shares thoughts on advances in gaming technology

[/media-credit] The new generations of the Xboxs and Playstations are coming out in the fall of 2020. Each brand features new designs for the controllers and the console.

The new generation of high definition consoles are around the corner. With the PS5 (Playstation 5) and the Xbox Series X to be released between October and December of 2020, both the Sony and Microsoft gaming systems are rumored to deliver the next level of graphics for a console. 

Like the previous generation of consoles, the online gaming ability to play multiplayer games online with friends stays the same. The PS5 is still using the Playstation Now Network and the Xbox Series X is running off of the Xbox Game Pass.

As with the PS4, the same type of slim body style is rumored to transfer over to the new generation’s PS5, according to Techradar. As for the new generation of controllers, the installation of the PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech incorporates audio to the controller. 

One button which will change from old generation controller to the new, is the share button. The button changes from share to the “creation” button which provides the gamer to create gameplay for others to see.

Specs for the PS5 contains a memory bandwidth of 448 GB/s and a custom internal storage of an 825 GB SSD. The console is planned to deliver a 4k UHD Blu-ray drive and 60fps for the gamer. With not an exact number for the price, the PS5 is rumored to cost 500 dollars, according to Techradar. 

The importance of a bigger SSD affects how the console runs open world games and loading times. Not only helping run the console more smoothly, it helps control the installation and removal of games. Game developers are less limited on creating a smaller world for open world games, and reduce wait times for fast travel options in games.

In the following tweet, Sony reveals that the PS5 runs off a Unreal Engine 5, for better game graphics.

In my opinion, the previous generation console Sony came out with, the PS4, contained minor issues over the two year time period of ownership. Some popular issues are the analog sticks of the controller, which affected gameplay and added annoyance to the game by moving it by itself.

On the other hand, the console Microsoft are planning to release in the fall of 2020, the Xbox Series X, will contain a high box shape which can sit horizontally or vertically. The Series X reveal trail, which was released December 12th, 2019, shows the top of the console with cooling vents and a green light inside.

The new Xbox controller is rumored to be refined in its shape and size in order to be more accessible to all players, according to Techradar. Wireless controller latency is also to be improved to provide a faster pace gameplay.

Specs for the Series X console contains a memory of 16 GB and a storage of 1 TB. Similar to the PS5, the Series X’s optical drive contains a 4k UHD Blu-ray drive. The console’s potential of 8k resolution and up to 120 fps provides a higher level gameplay for console.

Another Series X feature includes Variable Rate Shading, this effects different in-game characters and prioritizes objects for a “more stable frame rate and higher resolution”, according to Microsoft. The price for the Series X is $499-599 depending on options for the console. 

In the following tweet, Microsoft posted a tweet of the Xbox Series X start-up and shows the new console.

As a previous owner of a Xbox 360 and Xbox 1, there are major jumps from each console. The main difference I saw which negatively affected the new Xbox 1 was game installation. Unlike the Xbox 360, it took hours to play a game from a disc, instead of the instant play the Xbox 360 provided.

The rivalry Sony and Microsoft created with their consoles takes gaming to the higher level. Their differences between the shape, size and performance gives gamers a hard choice on which console to choose.

For more articles read, Senior Reflection: Thy Pham-Nguyen and Passions & Hobbies: Behind the scenes of Fresno Christian athletes.

Kyler Garza can be reached via email.