FC administration faces unknown obstacles amid new school year

Pandemic precautions lead to unparalleled start to semester

[/media-credit] Bible and leadership teacher Aubri Foster meets with her students via WebEx while alone in her classroom.

In an unprecedented year, Fresno Christian administration faced difficult decisions regarding the upcoming school year. The final choice led to a first day of school unlike any other in 43 years of school history.

Empty hallways, teachers isolated behind screens and beauty ring lights made for a start full of unknowns. Each class began with the digital grid of familiar yet distant faces and the reality of this new form of learning.

After a suspension of classes in the spring, the expected two week hiatus grew to the remaining ten weeks of the school year. Following the uncertainty of the past semester, administration was eager to formulate a plan for the next semester.

The process of constructing this plan was like playing a game of Jenga, with ever changing mandates and guidelines forcing adaption. After constructing a preliminary design for students to return in the fall, state policies caused the plans to adjust yet again. After adapting accordingly to those regulations, local mandates forced administration to amend the prior proposal.

This cycle continued through a majority of the summer and led to an unsettled certainty in regards to a fall opening. Administration settled upon a plan that integrated aspects of both online and in-person learning. Superintendent Jeremy Brown discussed alternate ideas that failed to receive clearance for the semester.

[/media-credit] Superintendent Jeremy Brown encourages students and staff at an in-person chapel to wrap up the first week of school, Sept. 11.

“The only other option was a cohort model that was recently allowed by the state of California,” Brown said. “It is conducive to elementary students but not secondary. The main issue was students only being allowed close, prolonged contact with two adults. We are also evaluating other options from schools across California.”

The 2020 fall semester consists of at-home learning classes in the morning on a digital platform, with on-campus afternoon cohort (small groups) clubs on select days. The ultimate goal of the FC staff is to reunite their students in a safe manner. In the meantime, teachers are finding new ways to advance classroom instruction.

While devising a plan for the school year, administration consulted with teachers for their feedback from the previous semester’s online learning model. They used these responses to improve upon what worked well and adjust accordingly. These changes include modifying methods of direct instruction, effective use of Schoology and adapting the daily schedule to allow for independent work time.

While FC returned this school year to a virtual classroom, other schools in the San Joaquin Valley began the school year with in-person learning. Immanuel Schools in Reedley reopened the school year with on-campus instruction prior to the approval of Fresno County health officials. This decision has led to an ongoing public legal battle with the state of California in pursuit of in-person education.

In comparison, FC elementary classes recently reopened. Administration filed for a waiver with the California state government to reopen elementary classrooms, which was approved on Sept. 22. Elementary students return to campus for in-person learning for the first time of the school year, Sept. 28.

After seeing an empty campus since March 13, teachers and staff have missed the personal connection with their students. Principal Amy Deffenbacher appreciates the ability to see student’s faces on campus once again.

“The greatest success of this semester has been seeing students, hands down,” Deffenbacher said. “Whether it’s in-person for orientations, MAP Testing or photos, it truly has been a joy to reconnect with our students. We have missed you all.”

FC Athletics adapts to new regulations

In addition to the academic alterations, FC athletics faced challenges in starting the fall season. With the lack of sufficient health guarantees for student athletes, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) faced a major decision on how to handle the season.

First option was to move ahead with existing plans in the fall and carry the risk of a Covid outbreak among students. Second option was to postpone the season until December and reshuffle the calendar in hopes the pandemic subsides.

On the morning of July 20, the CIF announced their intentions to modify the 2020-2021 athletic calendar. This involved pushing back the winter season to mid-December and combining parts of the winter and spring seasons together. FC athletic director Jonathan Penberthy shared his thoughts on the reshuffled athletic calendar.

“At first, I was just happy that we get to play, I’m excited the students get to do that,” Penberthy said. “I wish it was more traditional in the sense that we have football and volleyball in the fall and then basketball and soccer in the winter, but that’s not going to happen this year. So, we’ve got to make the best of it and try and get our student athletes to as many games as we can.”

One consequence for this schedule affects multi-sport athletes directly. They now must choose which sport to compete in during the spring or attempt to play both at once.

[/media-credit] Due to the altered athletic calendar, multi-sport athletes must decide which sport to play in the spring.

Another change for the imminent athletic year includes the return of coach Mick Fuller to the football program. After a period of time spent away from the game as a coach, Fuller returned last year as the team’s defensive coordinator. Now, he takes over the head coaching duties of former coach Russ Counts.

In addition to familiarity with the players, Penberthy also recognizes the importance of resilience in the team’s leader. He believes coach Fuller’s impact moves beyond the X’s and O’s of coaching.

“It’s nice to have somebody that can kind of roll with the punches if you will,” Penberthy said. “If we had to shut the season down or shut some practices down, it’s nice to have somebody on campus for that. We know his heart for Christ and his heart for wanting to see these young men grow in their relationship with Christ.”

Despite ongoing alterations to the semester’s schedule, administration continues to seek alternative options to return to campus. For the meantime, teachers continue to work toward improving the alternative learning experience and awaiting the chance to resume campus classes.

For more articles, read Educating behind a screen and October movie night connects students.

Kyle Clem can be reached via Twitter: @KyleClem5 and via email.