Should students care about voting and elections?

Campus students share level of concern over 2020 election

[/media-credit] The State of California mails official ballots to every registered voter. Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 3

Yard signs, social media, tv, newspapers, bumper stickers and rallies bombard an already news-soaked country with conflicting political messages. High schoolers possess different views of the election as few of the senior class even possess the ability to vote.

What are the opinions of these students that cannot vote, yet receive constant notification about politics from their selected media outlets?

To determine the extent Fresno Christian students care about political happenings, The Feather Online conducted a poll of 111 high school students, Oct. 16. Most students express a political opinion, with 45.1% of polled students aligning more conservative, 4.4% liberal, 17.7% in the middle. Additionally, 32.7% stated they were not interested in politics.

Senior Ethan Castiglione began his interest in politics this school year. He ties this new interest to his Civics class, taught by Robert Foshee.

“I believe it is important for students to care about politics,” Castiglione said. “Sometimes it is difficult to tolerate certain politicians, but at the end of the day it is very important because whoever is in government can shape our future and we have the opportunity to educate ourselves on this stuff. I believe it is a good decision to become politically educated so we can have a good future.”

The civics class wraps up their unit on voting just in time for the election. The class, taken by seniors, teaches students about the civic duties they take part in as adults.

Now in his 21st year, Foshee hopes his class teaches how being a Christian and an American affects how one should participate in civic events.

[/media-credit] Foshee’s civics class teaches student the importance of voting and other areas of citizen behavior.

“Students should not necessarily just take an interest in politics, but in being an overall good citizen,” Foshee said. “This involves learning about issues that affect their communities, country, and world, as well as being a good steward of the resources God has given them. During this course they will see their role in society and what is expected of them.”

The 2020 election differs from past elections in several ways. Because of the risk gathering in public presents, some states expand voting by mail. Nine states plan to send ballots via mail to every eligible voter within the state.

Some politicians theorize this decision increases the chances of voter fraud, pointing out instances of fraudulent use of mailed ballots recorded by The Heritage Foundation. Since 1982, the Heritage Foundation has recorded 1,298 cases of election fraud.

Arguing the opposite, the New York Times published an article on Oct. 25 by Tiffany Hsu, refuting absentee ballot fraud claims. The article mentioned several instances in which news outlets reported possible acts of fraud involving mail-in ballots. However, Hsu points out new information which questions the validity of those news sources.

Election day takes place Nov. 3, 2020. The Fresno County website states the different ways locals may vote. Voters receive ballots in the mail and return them to one of the many ballot boxes set up around the county. In-person voting stations opened Oct. 31 in Fresno County.

For more articles, read Football overcomes pandemic postponement, preps for upcoming season and Fresno Christian high school rocketry club lifts off.

Brayden Iest can be reached via Twitter and email.