Editorial: Financial strategies in HS avoid later economic woes

Foshee’s civics class teaches student the importance of voting and other areas of citizen behavior.

Gain a head-start before debt piles up

As the class of 2021 prepares to leave for college, careers, or a gap year, personal finance becomes a topic of increasing importance. While parents and school provide a helpful support structure, students should make an effort to learn responsible financial practices before accruing debt.

Less than a fifth of high school graduates feel comfortable with the concept of credit, according to a 2019 poll. However, by the age of 24, the average adult will owe over $10,000 in credit card bills, car payments and other forms of consumer debt. College graduates can expect even more debt: on average, graduates from private for-profit schools owe $39,900, for University of California, $20,000, and for California State Universities, $15,000.

[/media-credit] Using online tools to plan ahead helps students avoid crippling debt.

Even if parents are willing pay for housing or tuition through college via the ParentPlus option via the studentaid.gov website, the financial choices young adults make leave long-lasting effects. The earlier one gains a grasp of personal finance, the fewer economic woes they may face in adulthood.

Both students and parents should consider the ramifications of loans for their immediate and long-term choices.

Take student loans as an example. Nationwide, the average time to pay off college aid loans is 18.5 years. Attending a more expensive college for the wrong reasons may cause one to miss out or delaying owning a house, car, or starting a retirement fund early in life.

Despite the impact a quarter million dollars of debt can have, a study shows only 10% of college students can correctly name the amount of debt they owe. Before attending a university, students should use a student loan calculator such as the one on studentaid.gov.

Students in Robert Foshee’s economics class work on a budgeting project early in the second semester. One lesson seniors often draw from this project is realizing the amount of work and proactive planning required to balance a monthly budget.

High schoolers should also apply financial lessons in the real world. While only 30% of 18-24 year-olds own a credit card, applying for a credit card early can allow students to build a positive credit score, aiding in buying a home later in life. Educational Employees Credit Union offers a student starter card for high school seniors and college students.

With few expenses, support from parents and little-to-no debt, the economic stakes are low for high schoolers. However, students who implement wise financial decisions early start their adult life with a leg up.

For more articles, read COLUMN: Student body president shares student leadership purpose and Amanda Phan leads international organization, creates community among Vietnamese students.