Biden’s inauguration caps historic 2020 presidential election

Road to Inauguration Day faces multiple speed bumps

[/media-credit] President Biden became the oldest person to be sworn in as President of the United States, Jan. 20.

In the midst of a year suffocated by the effects of COVID-19, Americans faced a decision in what was dubbed as ‘The most important election in US history’. The race for president came down to the Republican nominee and incumbent President, Donald Trump, and Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

These two political foes verbally sparred throughout the election process, debating the economy, immigration, civil rights and COVID-19. These debates provided voters insight to what each candidate planned to do for the nation as President.

On Election Day, Nov. 3, Americans cast their ballots to decide who would sit in the Oval Office for the next four years. In past elections, poll workers tallied votes and media members projected a victor during election night. However, due to the pandemic and a rise in absentee ballots, a delayed projection lasted until Nov. 7.

Biden won the election to become the 46th US president, winning the electoral college with 306 votes and the popular vote with over 81 million votes. His opponent, President Trump, won 232 electoral votes and over 74 million popular votes. The road to Inauguration Day did not end here, however.

Following the projection of Biden’s victory, President Trump cited widespread election fraud that led to his defeat. President Trump’s legal team began to file a series of 62 lawsuits over the election results. These included allegations claiming votes were submitted by deceased and out-of-state voters, noncitizens and many duplicate ballots.

[/media-credit] Following the Jan. 6 insurrection, the National Guard was deployed around Washington D.C. in preparation for Inauguration Day.

Out of these 62 cases, one lawsuit succeeded in Pennsylvania that allowed voters to provide valid ID and “cure” their ballot within three days. The remaining 61 cases went on to fail in court on the basis of a lack of evidence.

These decisions have come from both Democrat-appointed judges and Republican-appointed judges, including federal judges appointed by Trump himself.

Despite the lack of success in certifying these claims of election fraud, President Trump and his supporters continued to insist its existence. This insistence led to one final effort by Trump and his supporters on Jan. 6. Every four years, this date is a crucial step in the election process. On this day, the U.S. congress meets to certify the election results and hear out any objections from representatives or senators.

President Trump planned a rally on this date with the intent to show support for Vice President Mike Pence and Republican lawmakers who intended to dispute the election results. After concluding a near one-hour long speech, President Trump encouraged his crowd.

“We’re going to the capitol,” Trump said. “We’re going to try and give our Republicans… the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.”

Following this speech, Trump’s supporters marched down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the Capitol. Eventually, this mob grew too large for Capitol Police to contain and they moved up the Capitol steps. This crowd made its way toward the Capitol doors where the group managed to breach security and invade the building.

At this point, Congress learned about the raid and adjourned their session. The next step was to formulate a plan on how to evacuate the 535 members of congress from the Capitol building.

[/media-credit] Vice President Kamala Harris became the first female, African American and Asian American vice president in history, Jan. 20.

After multiple hours of work from Capitol Police to clear the building of rioters, Congress managed to resume session and certify the election results. Unfortunately, this riot led to the death of 5 people at the Capitol building, including one of the police officers attempting to contain the mob.

Due to this deadly insurrection attempt, the U.S. Capitol received heightened security attention to an unprecedented level to combat any attempted protest in the days to come. This security detail consisted of nearly 10,000 National Guardsmen and a 7-foot wall topped with razor wire.

After an uncertain two weeks leading up to the inauguration of Joe Biden, he was installed as president without incident, January 20, 2021. On this date, U.S. history was made with the inauguration of our country’s first female, African American and Asian America Vice President, Kamala Harris. In addition, Biden became the oldest president ever at their first inauguration at 78 years old.

This historic day came at a divisive moment in American history in the midst of a global pandemic and following an insurrection attempt against the government. Biden addressed these topics in his inaugural address and discussed the importance of unity in America.

“This is our historic moment of crisis and challenge, and unity is the path forward,” Biden said. “And, we must meet this moment as the United States of America. If we do that, I guarantee you, we will not fail.”

Some analysts praised this speech including Fox News Anchor Chris Wallace, who called the address, ”The best inaugural address I’ve ever heard.” However, some members of the media disagreed with Wallace’s take. Fox News host Sean Hannity called the speech a, “truly unremarkable, totally forgettable, pre-rehearsed set of remarks.”

Biden’s inauguration marked the 59th public inauguration in US history and the 15th time a vice president won the presidency. In addition, this inauguration became the 7th live-streamed over the internet since its debut for President Bill Clinton in 1997.

[/media-credit] President Biden faces the challenge of uniting the nation during a time of division in America.

Moving ahead into his presidency, President Biden faces a group of challenges to overcome. These include containing the pandemic, rolling out vaccines and stimulating an economic rebound. Now, as President of the United States, Biden takes control of the oval office with this statement to the nation during his inauguration address.

“So, with purpose and resolve we turn to the tasks of our time,” Biden said. “Sustained by faith. Driven by conviction. And, devoted to one another and to this country we love with all our hearts.”

No matter what side Americans voted for, the next step forward toward unity involves accepting and supporting President Biden in office. Former President George W. Bush congratulated President Biden after his victory and offered this statement to the nation.

“Though we have political differences,” Bush said. “I know Joe Biden to be a good man who has won his opportunity to lead and unify our country. The President-elect reiterated that while he ran as a Democrat, he will govern for all Americans. I offered him the same thing I offered Presidents Trump and Obama: my prayers for his success, and my pledge to help in any way I can.”

For Christians, God calls His people to pray for their leaders no matter the situation. Christian Living teacher Aubri Foster believes in the importance of this calling and remembering that God reigns above all leaders.

“It is not dignified or godly to not pray for someone just because you aren’t a fan,” Foster said. “I firmly believe that when scripture says we are to pray for our leaders, it is calling us put aside our personal feelings and remember that God is God and we are not. So, when you pray for the current administration of the United States of America, pray first asking God to help them. Pray for the things they might not even be praying for themselves. Thank God for his provision over our leaders and above all things.”

Now, with a new administration in power, the responsibility flips to the people to support the president regardless of political affiliation. In order for our nation to overcome the effects of COVID-19, it requires one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

What can you do to support this mission? Leave a comment down below.

For more articles read Journalists continue storytelling despite Covid-19 restrictions and Editorial: Financial strategies in HS avoid later economic woes.

Kyle Clem can be reached via Twitter: @KyleClem5 and via email.