Pandemic affects teenage mental health

Anxiety, depression rates impacted by isolation

[media-credit name=”Nik Shuliahin on Unsplash” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]

As students sit in socially distanced seats behind masks or stare for endless hours at computer screens disengaged with online learning, there is something lost in today’s students that was not there a year ago. 

Physical health has been a continual focus for youth in sports programs and other teen outlets, however mental health has taken center stage this pandemic year. 

One does not have to look far to see that mental health is an important factor in everyday living, but with Covid and the new vaccine, it is an easy topic to forget about. The lockdown has brought many a sense of fear around the world, but for adolescents, the impact is increased by age, education, any sort of mental health condition, or being quarantined.

Lauren Stretlitz, a pediatrician at Bayside Medical Group in Pinole, CA, observed some worries for her young patients. She says in an article on stanfordchildrens.org that the pandemic particularly affects teens. 

“While this is a challenging time for everybody, it is particularly important for adolescents,” Stretlitz said. “This is a time where they are developmentally supposed to gain independence.”

Stretlitz recorded a 12 and a half minute podcast, explaining possible solutions to help teens respond to stress during the pandemic.

Another professional, Robert Sege, gave sight on this challenging topic. Sege, MD, Ph.D., FAAP, is a recent member of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts interprets how to prevent mental health issues. In an article on healthychildren.org, he shares tips for parents to help their teens work through problems.  

“As teens develop their own sense of independence, it gets harder to find time to talk,” Sege said. “Chat in the car together, when doing dishes together, or any time you have a chance. Remember that no matter how big their problems seem, what most teens want are love and support. When a parent tries to solve the problem, rather than simply listening, their teen can feel disrespected and push the parent away.”

Sege and colleague Amanda Decker, host of the Organizing for Change Podcast, sat down to talk about stabilizing Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and HOPE (Healthy Outcomes from Positive Experiences).

Aleta G. Angelosante, Ph.D., clinical assistant professor in the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at NYU Langone Health and also part of its Child Study Center.

“Parents, who now have unprecedented access to their teenager’s day-to-day functioning due to social distancing, may find themselves wondering how to tell the difference between typical teenage sadness and depression,” Angelosante said.

It is not just professional health workers shining a light on the emotional aspects challenging teens during these unprecedented times. Lauren Scheidt, a freshman at Clovis West High School explains the hardships she has had to overcome with being on the computer all day long.

“Online school is harder than in person because the teachers can be unclear about what they are teaching,” Scheidt said. “I feel like I may have developed anxiety, depression. I play golf three times a week, and I also sometimes have issues comparing myself to others.”

According to PEW research, 70% of teens recognize anxiety and depression as an issue even without a pandemic.

Anxiety and depression are on the rise among America’s youth and, whether they personally suffer from these conditions or not, seven-in-ten teens today see them as major problems among their peers. –Pew Research

Mental health awareness month starts in May, aiming to reach people and increase early intervention, resulting in faster recovery. If you or someone you know is struggling please seek help. You are not alone.

The Well Community Church is providing help to Fresno Christian students dealing with issues. There are about 13 counselors willing to help talk students through rough situations. The Well Counseling Center offers affordable and professional counseling from a Christian worldview in the Fresno/Clovis area. You can reach the Well via (559) 325-8600.

For more articles read Yearbook staff continues to capture memories and Spring sports kick off their seasons.

Aribella Dimmer can be reached via email.