1961 Land Rover Series IIA

Brynnor Poplin,  junior at Fresno Christian shares his story about the rebuild of his first car.  Midnight blue, 1961 Land Rover Series IIA stands out in the school parking lot. This vehicle has been handed down four generations and the keys are now his.

The 2020 quarantine allowed Brynnor and his father, Tim Poplin, ‘96, extra time to complete this rebuild which has been a project car for 23 years. During Tim’s high school years he drove the car and  worked to keep it running. 

The Land Rover is built with several different parts such as a Chevrolet s10 truck engine, off-road tires and rims, modified frame, and lift kit. Automobiles from the 1960s are a rare sight to see on the road as this particular Land Rover definitely catches your eye.

[/media-credit] 1961 Land Rover serves as a prop for Tim Poplin and friends in 1995 during a youth event.

Filming a video showcasing the unique characteristics of this Rover proved to be a fun challenge. As a car enthusiast myself, the goal was to personalize the story of Brynnor Poplin’s rebuild and the vehicle itself as a photo / video subject. 

The lines of the body, mechanics of parts and movement as the Rover articulated over mounds of dirt. The hardest shot to grab was the moving shot with Brynnor driving. This required two of us as my partner, Carson Imbrie, ‘22 drove, I sat backwards in the passenger seat, car door open in perfect distance to grab the shot. (Do not attempt this at home).  

Throughout the video shoot, I began to understand just how high maintenance a 1960s vehicle can be. While driving, we noticed Poplin did not use blinkers and when asked about he was unaware of another fuse that had blown out. Perfect example of many little things that frequently need fixing, tweaking or replacing. 

Capturing this video allowed a passion to grow deeper in me, combining a love for cars, trucks, and motorcycles with a continuing journey behind the lens.

If you would like to know more about Brynnor’s 1961 Land Rover head to FCS student rebuilds 61 year old car, restores family heirloom.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by MicahFriesen (@micah_r_official)

For Feather videos head to The Feather Media page.