Assistance for tests, finals available

As finals rapidly approached campus, teachers told their classes almost everyday “next time you see this, it will be on the final.” However, student’s approach to the subject varies.

“I’m not really apprehensive about finals; I’m cool about them, all except chemistry,” Laura Wiens, ’03, said. “When it comes to chemistry my knowledge is lacking. I haven’t done anything to prepare yet. I think it’s important to study everyday for like two weeks for about an hour, but I haven’t even done that.”

When it comes to studying, the College of Saint Benedict suggests making summary sheets of material still unlearned, as well as important learned material, and paying special attention to confusing material.

“Most students care about their finals and try to prepare for them,” Allan Tong, math teacher, said. “Most try to prepare, but some don’t. I advise students to follow specific instructions I give them in order to prepare.”

To some students, finals are just another test, and they cram the night before.

“I’m not really worried about finals,” Danielle Roberts, ’03, said. “I haven’t done anything to prepare, but remember the four C’s: cram, caffeine, and Columbian coffee!”

When looking for homework or study help, check out bigchalk.com; although one may have to ignore the cute, kid-friendly graphics, assistance is available for high school students as well.

“I’m a little anxious about finals,” Katherine Babcock, ’04, said. “I’ve studied for math because I have that one today, but taking finals last year as a freshman wasn’t harder than I expected it to be.”

Teachers on campus are always willing to help out a struggling student.

“Tell your teachers immediately about any learning difficulties you know you have,” Rod Atchley, science teacher, said.

On the average, he believes the majority of students are prepared for his finals.

“Review daily,” Atchley advised. “Don’t approach any topic thinking it’s all right to forget after the quiz or exam. Assessments are benchmarks for showing what you have and have not learned.”