New Classes announced for the 2021-2022 school year

Students contemplate taking on new classes

As the 2020-2021 school year nears completion, preparation begins for the next school year. Several teachers, in an effort to provide additional options for students, propose new courses. This also includes possible changes to classes currently available.

[/media-credit] Choir teacher Susan Ainley creatively presents the fun side of choir to intrigue students to join, April 8.

Here is a list of the potential new classes, their instructors, and descriptions:

Creative writing in a digital world- Greg Stobbe

Creative writing in the digital age is an alternative English course designed for students to create original forms of writing in real-world scenarios. Concise vocabulary development and word choice will be stressed, along with creative writing techniques across multiple digital platforms. Learn skills in blogging and website writing, social media captioning, portfolio and resume development, branded correspondence, briefs and review writing, opinion, descriptive and fiction writing. This class meets the requirements for an A-G English course and is available for grades 10-12.

Intro into digital media- Kori James

Everyday 3.5 billion users connect on social media platforms. With both positive and negative effects, learning to master digital platforms and other professional media skills will help set you apart. This class will cover everything your phone can do to help build digital media skills for your future. Phone photography, video editing, professional use of multiple platforms, portfolio building, marketing and branding, media literacy and more. This is NOT a Feather publications class. This is a hands-on training class in the world of digital media that will require parents’ permission. (A smart phone is required for this course.)

Elementary internship- Scott Falk

I will oversee the placement of students in one of our elementary classrooms to serve as aides to an elementary teacher. For students who are interested in a career as a teacher, or students who are wondering if a career in teaching might be for them and would like to explore what it would be like to be in the classroom with children, this would be a good opportunity. Even if a vocation in teaching is not something a student is considering, but they enjoy kids and would like to spend some time each day helping a teacher, this might be a good fit. There will be regular meetings with me and some type of written reflection required at the end of the semester.

French- Melanie Portwood

If you are a current 8th or 9th grader and are interested in the beautiful language, culture and history of France, then taking French is for you! It helps if you are self-motivated and decent at spelling as well.

Speech/debate- Lesley Bannister

AP Microeconomics- Robert Foshee

This microeconomics course will be a semester long. Throughout the course, students will be instructed in economic theory, and the creation, interpretation, and application of proper economic models and graphs. Successful completion of all course components should result in students being prepared to complete the Advanced Placement Exam in microeconomics in the spring.

Students express interest in new classes

Students such as Micah Sue, ‘22, show interest in new classes. Sue focuses on taking AP Microeconomics next year. This will be the third AP class he has taken.

“It’s very exciting to see the new potential class being offered next year,” Sue said. “I look forward to the opportunity of taking one of these next year and gaining a new learning experience. Specifically, I am excited for AP Microeconomics because it seems very intriguing. I would like to understand things of that nature on a higher level.”

Younger high school students also desire to fit a new class into their schedule. French presents an attractive option considering Spanish was the only foreign language option in the past. The French class would provide an alternative to people who might not use Spanish as much in the future.

[/media-credit] Science teacher, Scott Bucher, promotes his class for the 21-22 school year at chapel, April 8.

Freshman Isabella Adams desires to take the French course next year. She believes the language will aid her in the future. This is Adams’ first year at FCS.

“I think French would be a cool class to take,’ Adams said. “Also, if I ever travel to Europe, I will be able to speak with more people and have conversations with them. It would be like I lived there my whole life.”

Because of the new classes being offered next year, students ponder which classes give them the best experience. Students decide what classes to take via course request forms. The forms, to be passed out on April 27, exhibit the interest level of the classes, letting the administration know if people will take the class.

Here is a list of elective classes that are currently available and being offered next year:

Publications- Greg Stobbe
Photojournalism and Videojournalism- Kori James
Leadership- Aubri Foster and Robert Foshee
Yearbook- Melanie Portwood
Physics- Scott Bucher
Anatomy and Physiology- Jacob Cantu
Concert Choir- Susan Ainley
Ensemble- Susan Ainley
Instrumental music- Leslie Bannister
Color Guard- Leslie Bannister
Drama- David Casuga
Worship Team- Daniel Garrison
Spanish- Marianela Aguilar
Home Economics- Kimberly Bell
Strength and Conditioning- Michael Fuller
Cheer- Hope Villines

If students have questions regarding required courses or electives, contact Academic Advisor, Evangelina Escovedo. Ecovedo will aid students in their graduation plan.

Brayden Iest can be reached via Twitter and email.