Students celebrate Cinco De Mayo

[/media-credit] Students Aubrey Graham, ’23, and Mateo Pascual, ’23, go head to head in the Cinco De Mayo lunch activity.

High school Cinco De Mayo lunch activity

Students celebrate Cinco De Mayo with an activity organized by freshmen leadership students, May 5. Students are given tacos from Taco Bell provided by leadership for their participation. The game, called “heads shoulders knees cup” was played in the courtyard during lunch. Participants line up face to face against their opponent while listening to directions from an instructor. The goal is to grab a cup placed in the middle of the two competitors before the other person can grab it, while simultaneously listening to the instructor. Overall, the game was a success, and teacher Robert Foshee offered extra credit in his class as a prize for a second round.

A brief history of Cinco De Mayo

Contrary to popular belief, Cinco De Mayo is not Mexican independence day. Traditionally, Cinco De Mayo celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. Also known as Battle of Puebla Day, this holiday is considered a minor holiday in Mexico. Instead, this holiday is widely celebrated in America as a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage.

Traditional cultural dishes to enjoy

Mole Poblano– This dish is easily one of the most eaten foods during Cinco De Mayo. It’s made of a large mix of ground ingredients, usually chocolate and chilis, and is perfectly served over any type of meat or bake.

Chalupas– This dish is a very popular street food, and is served as fried tortillas topped with salsa, shredded meat, chopped onion, and sometimes queso fresco.

Chiles en Nogada– One of the most celebrated dishes in Puebla, this dish is symbolic of Mexican independence and is often eaten in celebration of Cinco de mayo. It’s traditionally made by stuffing a picadillo pepper and topping it with walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds.

Fun facts about Cinco De Mayo

1. Some cities around the country, including Denver, Colorado, and Chandler, Arizona, hold an annual Chihuahua Race in honor of Cinco de Mayo.
  2. The first Cinco de Mayo celebrations took place in California in 1863 as a way to honor the brave Mexicans who fought valiantly against the French in the Battle of Puebla.
  3. In the past, Americans have consumed more than 80 million pounds of avocados on Cinco De Mayo.
  4. President Roosevelt helped popularize Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the U.S. with his 1933 Good Neighbor Policy, which he enacted to improve relations with Central and South American countries.
  5. The actual Battle of Puebla, which Cinco de Mayo celebrates, lasted less than a day – from daybreak to early evening.

For more Feather photos, visit The Feather media page.