Make Mother’s Day memorable

Once a year, mothers throughout the United States receive commendation for their difficult full-time jobs. Mother’s Day has been celebrated for over 150 years in the United States and gegan in Boston by Julia Ward Howe. Mother?s Day was not an official holiday till 1872.

Mother’s Day is celebrated in remembrance of all the good things mothers have done. In the United States Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May and is often remembered with cards, gifts and special lunch.

Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1872 because of the American Civil War, when woman united against the war.

According to Martha Stewart while flowers may be a standard gift, there are many different gifts to make for Mother’s Day.

One craft she likes to make is the colorful clay jewlery. Her website suggests any color or shape of clay, make paper clips, bracelets, necklaces, rings and thumbtacks all make useful gifts.

Another arts and crafts project is a spinning greeting card. The project ake any shape and size of card and put a picture that will spin in the middle of the card.

The last arts and craft gift idea is the cherry blossom tree. To make this tree get pink paper for the petals and the branches from outside. To make it even better, get different decorations for a blossom tree.

Some choose flowers and a card or just taking her to a salon.

After interviewing a number of students, breakfast in bed, washing mom’s car or a detailed house cleaning are often on the top of the list for students without a creative bent.

“I think the meaning for Mother’s Day is to show them how much they mean to us,” Olyvia Franklin, ’10, said. “I do something to show mom who much I appreciate her for all the things she has done for me.”

Mother’s Day provides a time-out to take note of moms and their commitment to family.

“I appreciate my mom because she takes care of me, loves me; she’s a strong women,” Mercedes Neal, ’09, said. She is my hero, and I have a lot of respect for her.”

Sharon Scharf, art teacher, loves to receive presents from her kids.

“Anything my kids or grandaughters get for me is special,” Scharf said.

Scharf has two kids and two grandaughters. She gets lots of special things from her daughters and grandaughters. She realy loves it when they make her things.

“I think Mother’s Day is special because it’s a special day to honor all mothers,” Sharon said.