Blockbusters heat up spring

As night falls over the shimmering lights of New York City, the sound of an emergency siren sounds in the distance. Above the constant glow of the city, Peter Parker watches from atop a local apartment complex, his acute spider sense intact.

In an instant he leaps into action, a spurt of web shoots from his arm to connect with a nearby rooftop. As Spiderman swings into known danger, the bustling city lives on, entirely unaware of their hero.

So opens the first of the much anticipated spring/summer blockbusters for 2007. Spiderman 3, set to open May 4, is one of several major sequels to open in the next months.

With several new actors set to join the usual ensemble, Spiderman (Tobey McGuire) appears to have a promising cast. Amongst the new cast members are such seasoned actors as Topher Grace, Thomas Hayden Church and Elizabeth Banks.

The audience will be transported to new heights as not one, but three new villains emerge in the 3rd episode of the Spiderman saga. With the common theme of good versus evil, Spiderman 3 takes on a much darker tone than the first two films and is expected to rival box office records.

Another series releases third film

A pounding gust of wind blows wildly, engulfing the tattered black folds of sail and wave beaten wood that make up the infamous Black Pearl. Set to be released on May 25, the second of the summer blockbusters, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End will hit theatres with a splash of action.

With the release of the newest installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, the cast favorites from the previous movies are back for more. The infamous Captain Jack Sparrow played by Johnny Depp, returns as he must escape the tangles of death to settle his score with the treacherous Davy Jones.

Other fan favorites such as Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley have also returned for Pirates. The cast is set to receive several new characters including an introduction to Jack Sparrow’s father.

After the seemingly mind-boggling cliffhanger left by Dead Man’s Chest, the next and supposed final chapter for the Pirates is sure to leave viewers on the edge of their seats.

As May looms around the corner, look for these and more releases that are sure to compete for your time and money.