College athletics reunite seniors

While some seniors face the decision of selecting a college, others are in the process of signing with universities for athletic scholarships.

Joey Logan was offered a basketball scholarship to Cal Baptist University, on April 18th.

“I am ecstatic for Joey and the opportunity he as earned intentionally, because this opportunity was not something given to him, but something Joey had to fight for,” Christopher Haydock, assistant coach, said. “He has worked incredibly hard and dedicated himself to earning this opportunity.”

“Joey has grown an incredible amount in the last four years as a basketball player and as an outstanding young man who has really blossomed into a leader of this basketball program,” Haydock said. It has been an absolute privilege to interact with him daily for the last three years.”

According to head coach Chris Schultz, Logan will contribute to the basketball program at Cal Baptist both on and off the court. He believes Logan is a dedicated student, talented player and maintains great character.

“Cal Baptist is one of the top programs in the Golden Sate Athletic Conference, which is one of the best conferences in the entire country. Last years team made it to national tournament,” Schultz said. “To be offered a scholarship from school like Cal Baptist says a lot about Joey. As a coach I am pleased for Joey’s opportunity.”

Logan began playing point guard since fifth grade and continues to play the same position. Although he will start the upcoming season as a red shirt (no official position), he will work to be one of the starting five.

“I think both coaches (Cal Baptist) are great people as well as outstanding coaches,” Logan said. “I thinking adjusting to the team will be an easy transition because all the guys on the team are great people to be around.”

Logan hopes to get faster and stronger next year and learn about the game from coach Tim Cook, assistant coach and coach Tim Collins, head coach.

“I’ve always wanted to go to Cal Baptist for school,” Logan said, “and the opportunity to play basketball was something I knew I wanted to try and pursue.”

During Logan’s first year he will take general education. Although his major is undeclared, Logan is considering law or physical therapy.

“We will miss having Joey around as a leader and as a basketball player,” Haydock said, “I am looking forward to the great things for him as he moves on to contribute as a student and an athlete at Cal Baptist University.”

While at Cal Baptist Logan wants to be involved in missionary work starting in the summer after his freshman year and will try to participate in student government.

“Its not going to be easy, but if he’s willing to work hard, get stronger, and be patient, he will get an opportunity to contribute. I’m proud of him for taking a risk and perusing this with Cal Baptist,” Schultz said. “He is persistence and is a person has provided himself a chance to have an amazing experience. He will represent Fresno Christian well.”

Classmate soothes transition

While Logan plans to play basketball as a Lancer, classmate Greg Kilgore signed with the baseball program.

?Greg is getting an outstanding opportunity to play as part of the top notch National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) program headed by coach Gary Adcock. The Lancers have strung together three, 30-plus win seasons in the four years since coach Adcock has taken over,? Bill McGowen, head baseball coach, said. ?Greg will have the luxury of playing alongside college caliber players who will consistently be able to make plays for him.?

McGowen believes Kilgore carries the team both offensively with clutch hits and on the mound with his pitching arm. The coaches in this league respect Kilgore’s ability and know what he means to this ball club.

?Without Greg on this team, we would be in trouble,” McGowen said. “I know every time he is on the hill for us, we have a chance to win the ballgame. He consistently challenges hitters.?

McGowen thinks Kilgore possesses a “plus” slider that should translate well to the college level and if Kilgore can develop his arm strength, he should be able to earn the opportunity to pitch at Cal Baptist.

“Greg is going to learn, from a training standpoint, just how much intensity and work ethic it takes to succeed at the college level,? McGowen said. ?He will also condition like he has never before and be asked to take his mental toughness to the next level. It will be a completely new test for him, but I believe if he wants it badly enough, he can thrive there.”

Kilgore joined approximately 80 other players to visit Cal Baptist for Senior Day on Dec. 9. This event allows recruits to meet and play in a scrimmage. They split the players up into two groups: one tried out for the team while the other met with admissions counselors.

“I was nervous about trying out for the team,” Kilgore said. “There were a lot of players there and some of them were really good. I knew that I was not totally ready for game situations because I had just got done with football a couple weeks before. But I think I did pretty well overall.”

McGowen believes that although Kilgore is not a very vocal, emotionally charged leader, he leads by his example both in the classroom and out on the field.

?Greg is just one of those student/athletes you love to have on your team,? McGowen said. ?He knows what needs to get done and does it without being asked.?

Kilgore will major in Biblical studies. Since childhood, he wanted to attend a Christian college and go into the ministry field. Before signing with Cal Baptist he sat in during a few Bible classes and believes the experience finalized his decision.

“I want to find a good church to get involved in,” Kilgore said. “There are also lot of other things to get involved in on campus. I am just not sure whether or not I’ll play baseball beyond college. It just depends where it takes me.”

Kilgore expects early workouts and excessive homework, but looks forward to the coaching and curriculum at the college level.

“I am looking forward to going to a place that takes pride in their athletics because I will know what it feels like to be supported by a lot of the school,” Kilgore said. ” I am looking forward to playing with a good team and being able to have total trust in them. I am also excited about the excellent coaching.”