What is the Momentum campaign?

MOMENTUM CAMPAIGN UPDATE: Ground breaks for a new elementary playground on Feb. 14. The Alluvial driveway will be closed throughout construction which is expected to be completed in April.

What is the Momentum campaign?

Fresno Christian’s Momentum campaign seeks to raise $3.9 million in two years. Aptly named, the fundraiser builds on the momentum gained in the past few years with a seven year high in enrollment and at a ten year peak financially.

Superintendent Jeremy Brown began his administrative position at Fresno Christian eight years ago and has led the school in various improvements  and collecting donor contributions. His enthusiasm and vision for the campaign is based on his heart for the next generation.

“A lot of times people worry about today,” Brown said. “But you need to prepare for future generations. And as an organization, we need to go for what it’s going to be like in ten years. What will kids need? They’ll need support, they’ll need a foundation in the word, they’ll need a great education.”

Video below created by Archer and Hound for Fresno Christian’s Momentum campaign.

What will the money fund?

This money will fund nine different categories. Listed below, the areas of need are designed to improve the campus and the experience of staff and students.

35.9% – Debt Elimination – $1,400,000
32.1% – Solar Energy – $1,250,000
6.4% – Playground Foundation – $250,000
6.3% – Athletic Departments – $245,000
5.8% – Academic Programming – $225,000
5.4% – Deferred Maintenance – $210,000
3.2% – Ensure Small Class Sizes – $125,000
3.2% – Playing Fields – $125,000
1.8% – Campus Security – $70,000

The largest category is set aside to erase all of Fresno Christian’s debt built up in the last nineteen years. The financial crisis of 2007–2008 played a major part in creating the debt.

Installing solar panels will help fight off future debt. This $1,250,000 project is logical for the school’s budget and the environment.  High school principle Amy Deffenbacher shares how installing solar panels can affect students.

“We don’t think about the fact that a lot of money goes into keeping the lights on to see our books,” Deffenbacher said. “But if we’re not paying that much for the lights, we can buy different books or make improvements to the athletic fields, to the playground for the little kids.”

To reach the current playground, elementary students have to cross the parking lot. The new play area will stretch across three-quarters of building five and include a grassy area, play structure, courts, and hopscotch. This is significantly larger than the old area and will allow for more playtime.

Deferred maintenance includes funds set aside for repairing or replacing much needed items like roofs, cracks in the blacktop, air conditioning and old carpet.

The $125,000 set aside for ensuring small class sizes is to counterbalance money lost by admitting less students per class. Upholding classes no bigger than 25 is important to the school board for academic and spiritual reasons.

“Because we have small class sizes, you can feel connected and it’s more communal,” Brown continued. “And so, all that to say is, it doesn’t come cheap. I can make more money as a school if that’s all we want to do by adding 32 kids. We still have a waiting list to get into high school. But we don’t want to sacrifice why we’re doing it to get more kids.”

How can I contribute?

As of the release of this article, $1.6 million, or 41% of the goal, is already pledged and raised. Organizations and parents can continue the momentum by giving one-time, recurring, or in-kind donations at the campaign website or by contacting the school.

Students can help raise awareness for the campaign by being “world changers,” as Brown continually reminds students at school functions.

“It’s you guys making a difference, people seeing you guys,” Brown said, “whether it’s sporting events, whether it’s in the community, in your churches. That’s how we’ve grown. We haven’t grown because of some great marketing campaign. We’ve grown because they meet people and they go, ‘wow, there’s something about them.’ So students, just keep being you.”

Deffenbacher encourages students to contribute by discussing the campaign with their family.

“I think students can let their parents and grandparents know that the school is looking to make some improvements to our campus and to our programs. If they have families that have the ability to make donations or partner with us, then encourage them to contact the school.”

The Momentum campaign is set to conclude in the 2023-2024 school year with the first phase rolling out in 2022.

Email your questions about the campaign to this address. Share how Fresno Christian has affected your story at this page of the momentum campaign website.