New school year brings new students, staff to campus

[/media-credit] Sophomore Cate Rogers joins the Fresno Christian community from Clovis West for the ’21-22 school year.

Many new faces stroll the hallways at Fresno Christian Schools, the increasing student population higher than the last 10 years.  Being the new kid on campus is no longer so obvious. Other noticeable changes  include a new middle school English teacher and a new middle/high school office manager.

One frequently asked question of most new students is why they chose to come to FC?

Sophomore Cate Rogers chose to come FC  from Clovis West after the COVID-19 pandemic (Civilians around world share COVID-19 experiences, struggles) forced her to learn at home for an extended period of time.

“ I definitely struggled,” Rogers said.  “It was not working for me. I didn’t really get what they were teaching and even now I have to retake freshman math because of how bad it was online. There were way too many kids and I just wasn’t feeling it.”

[/media-credit] Freshman Lucas Adanalian made the move to FC from Alta Sierra.

Most students enjoy and prefer in-person learning rather than online, like Rogers. This includes freshman Lucas Adanalian from Alta Sierra, who shares how the pandemic motivated him to come to FCS.

“My parents pulled me out of my eighth grade year and homeschooled me the rest of the semester,” Adanalian said. “They didn’t want to put me back in Buchanan because online wasn’t working for me. I enjoy the size of the school and how teachers know and care about me.”

Along with new students some other staff members have joined the team. With the departure of beloved office manager Michelle Logan, FC parent Silva Emerian fills the seat of middle and high school office manager.

Emerian is a writer and editor who has loved fashion from a young age. Publishing her own blog, On My Shoebox, since 2010, Emerian writes about fashion, family and faith.

Emerian is excited to be involved at FC beyond the access of a parent.

“I consider this job a ministry and want to love the kids and be supportive of the school. I want to shine Jesus’ light from my desk; that’s my goal,” Emerian said. “I’m looking forward to not just being a parent but also seeing the school through my kids’ eyes and knowing the school on a different level.” Emerian says she loves that this school is like a family; it’s a community that looks out for each other and always puts God first”.

[/media-credit] Not a stranger on campus, FC parent Silva Emerian takes on the role of middle and high school office manager.

Emerian isn’t the only new staff newbie… enter the new middle school English teacher Thomas McEntee.

After the exit from Diane Blowers, McEntee takes her place. When interviewing McEntee for the job, Principal Amy Deffenbacher had no doubt he was the right replacement.

“I love that Mr. McEntee has a heart for students and for the Lord,” Deffenbacher said. “And he uses that for the heart of FCS. He’s worked at Christian camps and had connections with the kids and he’s fun. I think his enthusiastic and fun personality inspires students.”

McEntee has returned to Fresno Christian after teaching here from 2001 to 2008. He also taught at Makua Lani Christian Academy in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii from 2011 to 2015.

“Both my parents were teachers,” McEntee said. “My family moved to the mountains for 6 years to work at a year-round camping ministry. But my hope was always to get back to teaching. When the door opened to return to Fresno Christian, I was excited for the opportunity and this time with Junior Highers!”

McEntee says he loves Fresno Christian because teaching about honor and Jesus Christ is a unique privilege not presented at other schools he’s taught at.

“We have the freedom and the responsibility to present Christ,” McEntee continued. “My broader goal of getting students to read really centers on getting them to actually read the Bible and feed on God’s Word.”

With many new students at Fresno Christian, there are several opportunities to get to know someone and make new friends. Make sure to say hello when you walk the hallways.

For more Feather articles visit, USAF vet Nyle Smith shares story with FCS students, Nov. 9 or What is the Momentum campaign?

Kemya Hopkins
Kemya Hopkins, Journalist