Alumna Caleigh Alday wins Miss Clovis title

Caleigh Alday, the youngest title winner of the Miss Clovis pageants

Caleigh Alday, an alumna of FCS, won the title of Miss Clovis on Nov. 13, 2021. Alday, who graduated from FCS in May 2021, was beloved by teachers and peers as she achieved academic success while also being involved with dance and cheer from a young age.

[media-credit name=”courtesy Caleigh Alday” align=”alignright” width=”312″][/media-credit]

Of the many awards Alday has received, one that was most impactful was winning Miss Dance 2019 at Kar Dance.

One of Alday’s teachers during her time at FCS was Angie Counts who has been teaching Math II and III  for many years.

“Caleigh was a very persistent, determined, hardworking student; her work was always of the highest quality,” Counts said. “She always had high standards for herself and expected the same of others.”

Miss Pageants are stereotyped to only be concerned with the looks and the apparel of the women that participate, and Alday originally had that same mindset. But she found that the pageants are much more than just the outward appearance. The Miss America Organization interests lie in the empowerment of the woman; the capability to be a leader and benevolent. 

Requirements for the Miss Clovis Scholarship program:

• A resident of the City of Clovis or Fresno
  • Must be between the ages of 19-26
  • Registered into a college or university as a full time student
  • Or a full time employee for Fresno county with at least 40 hours per week
  • U.S. Citizen
  • Female
  • No criminal history
  • No consumption of alcohol or other dangerous substances

Alday’s background of dancing only partially helped her in the Miss Clovis pageant. Training for weeks, she learned to speak professionally, maintain a proper posture, and learn how to have a welcoming presence in a public setting. 

[/media-credit] Caleigh Alday just crowned Miss Clovis

“I overcame my doubt that I could actually become a public figure to the community around me and hopefully in June your next Miss California.” Alday continues, “This being my first pageant I surprised myself, I’ve never even held a microphone before, I didn’t even know going into it all of the hard work it really takes!”

The most crucial and ultimate scoring of the competition is the private interview. Each contestant of the pageant is interviewed intensively by six anonymous judges, in order to understand who they are as a person and what they will do if they win the title. The answers stated by the contestants must be articulated and condensed, with a positive attitude and smiling throughout all of it. Along with the interview, Alday had to prepare her talent, her evening attire, and to present her on-stage pitch of her platform, “Improving the Lives of Foster Children”.

With no prior experience, Alday had to put in an exponential amount of hard work, which seemingly paid off. She is the youngest winner of the title for Miss Clovis also receiving the Best Onstage Interview Answer Award. All together she received the highest scholarship of $1,250 from the pageant. Winning the competition was the first step, immediately she was pushed into multiple service projects and modeling opportunities. 

Within her first week of becoming Miss Clovis, Alday met the Chief and Sergeant of Clovis PD to discuss community events. Then the first week of December she’ll be escorted by the Sergeant at the Air Force base in Fresno, where she will be introduced to the national guard. Later on Alday will meet the Mayor of Clovis – Jose Flores.

“After winning Miss Clovis I have been blessed to give back and serve the community just in the first 4 days of being a title holder!” Alday commented.

Alday will be leading a toy drive for the foster children in the Central Valley for the Angels of Grace Foster Agency. The “Angels Of Grace”  (a non profit organization in Fresno, CA) partnered with CPS and Miss Clovis to bless children during the Christmas season. Alday is also going to be involved in a Food and Coat drive. To honor our veterans in the Central Valley she will be meeting with veterans memorial to become more educated on how she can provide for our veterans.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Caleigh Alday (@missclovis)

“It’s crazy to think this is only week one! I’m so thankful to give back to Clovis, CA!” Alday said.

Looking at the journey Alday took to become Miss Clovis, and continuing to an even more stressful chapter of her life- why? Why, a question that Alday hears frequently, a question that many had the thought of. Her response is this:

The why many have asked me,” Alday continued, “for the opportunities to serve and glorify the Lord for the chance to be an example of a disciple of God.”

Next chapter of this journey will be competing in the Miss California Pageant, June 2022. Good luck Caleigh!

For more Feather articles read USAF vet Nyle Smith shares story with FCS students, Nov.9 and Book Review: Beautiful Country.

Emma Calderon
Emma Calderon, Editor in Chief