• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Boys basketball winter preview

After a two-year hiatus, the basketball season has officially begun. Every game students fill the nuthouse with families packing the gymnasium, screaming and cheering for the team.

The basketball team practices long hours every non-game day, rarely taking a break. The will practice throughout Christmas break as well. Some changes this season are the way seeding takes place for playoffs. 

“Before, you used to know what division you were going to be in by the summer,” Athletic Director Jon Penberthy said. “Now, you find out at the end of the season based on how you did and who you beat.”

[/media-credit] Senior Orion Tomlinson begins is final season for the Fresno Christian Eagles.

Fresno Christian has a challenging schedule this year playing against much bigger schools. They seem up to the challenge, especially team captain Orion Tomlinson, ‘22, who plans on making a career out of it. He is especially fortunate this year to showcase his talents; basketball seniors were unfortunately not given the same opportunity last year due to COVID-19. Many games were cancelled, preventing universities from seeing the potential of numerous seniors.

“Ten-twelve colleges have already called about Orion, asking to see his film and wanting to watch him play this season,” Penberthy said.

Despite Orion having many eyes on him for his performance, he is optimistic about his potential future. 

“I want to show colleges that not only can I facilitate for other people, but that I can score a good amount of points,” Tomlinson said. 

Orion doesn’t want this season just to be about colleges noticing him

“Hopefully we can make it past the first round of playoffs and win a couple games and make a good run and win the championship this season,” Tomlinson said.

Last year they lost in the first round of the playoffs to Orange Cove, so they’re looking to avenge that loss and go deeper in the playoffs.

[/media-credit] Playing for the first time since 7th grade, senior Mason Beal renews his passion for the game.

For some people it’s their first season playing basketball and they are new to the team. Mason Beal, ‘22, decided to play high school basketball for the first time his senior year.

“The last time I played basketball was in 7th grade, so I figured why not play?” Beal said. “I’m looking forward to just hanging with my buddies and having a good time.”

Zeke VanNoy, ‘23, is the tallest on the team, standing at 6’4. He’s been on the team since his freshman year and has developed his game well.

“I’ve developed a lot since freshman year,” VanNoy said. “I’ve gotten taller and I’m athletic. My overall skills have grown a lot since freshman year.”

VanNoy is looking to help out the team a lot, especially with rebounding and his defensive game.

Only playing eight games this season, Fresno Christian has a long journey ahead of them. The home games are in the Fresno Christian gym. If you click on this Maxpreps link you will be able to see their schedule.

The next few home games are scheduled for Jan. 4  against McLane, Jan. 22 against Fowler and Jan. 25 against WCPA.

To read more from The Feather about athletics visit the Athletics page.

To read another article visit, Community connections encourage help for Haiti