Test earns junior scholarship

Over 1.4 million students participated in taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test last October. High school students across America sat through a 4-hour test in order to prepare for the SAT.

Junior Brittany Lauber scored among the 50,000 highest scores. This was Lauber’s third time taking the test and she believes experience earned her the scholarship.

?I was very surprised when I heard my ranking,? Lauber said. ?When I took the PSAT, I wasn?t focused on scoring really high; I just wanted the practice.?

Lauber is now offered the opportunity to be referred to any two U.S. colleges or universities by the College Plans Reporting Service (CPRS) within the selection of 2,300 schools.

?I?m glad to know that I have so many options,? Lauber said. ?It?s stressful trying to figure out where to apply to college, but it?s a relief to know I have the references.?

Principal Gary Schultz believes Lauber’s score continues a campus tradition.

“Fresno Christian students have consistently scored high on the PSAT and we have had many National Merit Scholars in the past,” Schultz said. “We have quality students, who work very hard and are trained well.”

Although some students are driven by self-determination, others feel pressured to participate.

“My parents made me take the PSAT, but I think it’s worthless,” Taylor Motte, ’09, said. “I just sat down and filled in the bubbles.”

About 16,000 students out of the selected 50,000 will be named semi-finalists in the fall. The Semifinalists will have an opportunity to advance in the competition for the Merit Scholarship in 2008.

?I don?t know if I will be a semi-finalist but I?m happy to just have scored in the top 50,000 students,? Lauber said. ?I?ve always worked hard in school and it feels great to know it?s paying off.?