Principal Amy Deffenbacher shares New Year’s encouragement

Setting New Years’s resolutions with a positive perspective.

I heard a great quote one time, “I can’t do everything for everybody, but that doesn’t mean I can’t do something for somebody.” In a world where we are bombarded from every side, this quote reminds me to not just give up when it seems like too much. People ask me for a million things every day… even when I cannot even begin to accomplish all of it I can start with some of it. This is especially hard for someone like me who is a perfectionist. Seems like if I can’t get something “just right” I am tempted to not do it at all.

[/media-credit] The Deffenbacher family visiting Yosemite National Park over Thanksgiving break 2021.

Why would I be including this in my article? Well, at the start of a new year we tend to make really long and often unrealistic lists of goals for ourselves. Don’t get me wrong, I very much love a fresh start and the opportunity to challenge myself to do better in a variety of areas (spiritual growth, health/fitness, relationships, professional development), but I tend to overdo it and fizzle out within a few weeks because it is just too hard.

Maybe I am the only one who overdoes it on my New Year’s resolutions, but just in case you find yourself in the same boat here’s a variation of my opening quote that I’d like you to consider, “Just because I can’t do everything, doesn’t mean I can’t do something.”

Start with one thing you would like to work on this year. Then, when you reap the joy of that success- move on to another goal. Don’t be overwhelmed by everything around you and the pace of this world. Instead, remember that there is only ONE to whom you are ultimately answering to and in His word he promises to take care of you today if you will stop worrying about yesterday and tomorrow. (Matthew 6:34)

Students, we look forward to a fresh new year with all of you. We look forward to working together to always be becoming better versions of ourselves. We look forward to celebrating your successes in 2022!

To hear more from principal Amy Deffenbacher read COLUMN: Principal Amy Deffenbacher reflects, shares attributes of small school community

To read more Feather articles visit, Community connections encourage help for Haiti, or What are GMOs and how to avoid them.