Bleary-eyed jazz band practices pay off

Rapidly growing sounds of the year-old jazz band flowed from the music suite in the early hours of the morning. Jazz band practices during and is one of the only zero period on campus and takes dedication for an extra-curricular activity.

“I enjoy it but sometimes its just to early in the morning,” Susan Portugal, ’03, said. ” In the end the practices are worth it because we sound good. I enjoy festivals because it shows us how we rank to other schools. If we work hard in the end the reward is good.”

Many of the students pressure themselves to practice hard so they many enjoy the good sound entertainment in the end.

“Jazz band is a very entertaining class,” Paul McEntee, jazz band instructor, said. “Despite it being very early in the morning all of the students seem to really enjoy it.”

Many members desire to go to festivals throughout the year but it depends on the amount of work put in the class.

“I would like to go to festivals but it depends on the amount of time the students are willing to put in,” McEntee, said. “Every single concert is a learning experience. The instrumental concert at Riverpark will be the final spring concert. It’s going to be a culmination of all the years’ hard work.”

Jazz band increases the excitement of the players and audience at all the home basketball games with their lively music.

“With the jazz band the game becomes more exciting,” Nick Jones’ 02, said. “The band lifts the intensity of the whole game and definitely gets the crowd going.”

Not only do jazz band members enjoy the up beat tunes of the jazz band but also the basketball players and the crowd also do.

“I really enjoy playing at the home basketball games,” Philip Ocheltree, 04, said. “It is definitely different than playing at football games it’s a lot smaller and more lively because we have several songs to choose from.”

Each member is required to know about 20 to 25 different pieces of music and must be ready to play different ones at events.

“We have to know how to play a lot of songs but we don’t have to memorize them all.” Lane Meadows, ’05, said. ” I like the songs we do in jazz band better than the marching band songs. The basketball games are good to play at, but I would rather be in the stands cheering on our team.”

Other than basketball games the jazz band will participate in an instrumental concert at Riverpark church on May 21.

“I think it will be cool to show other local jazz bands what we are made of.” Steven Crosby, ’02, said. “It will also be good to listen to the other bands around town. We have come a long way this year and gotten much better.”

For more information on jazz band please contact McEntee through the office or music suite.