Student Leadership: Behind the Scenes

[/media-credit] ASB officers for student leadership during the 21-22 school year.

Ever wonder who’s behind school events? Student Leadership has been a part of Fresno Christian Schools for as long as anyone can remember. Student leadership gives students an opportunity to serve the school in all areas as they lead by planning events for the school. The leadership team in the 22-23 year has a full team of  with President Ashley Logan and Vice president Joshua Chinn

Vice president Joshua Chinn, ‘23, shares his involvement including why he keeps going back to leadership.

“For me I feel like I’ve been called to,” Chinn says. “I think it’s super fun how it mixes all grade levels, getting involved in the student body. With being vice president it just means I attend the ASB (Associated Student Body) meetings, and make sure I’m there to fill in if the president isn’t there.”

Aubri Foster and Robert Foshee are the two advisors for Student Leadership and equally share the teaching responsibilities. They both teach students what it looks like to biblically lead, as well as living that out for their student body. The curriculum teaches students about Old Testament Kings and their memorable leadership skills, as well as three protagonist women in the Bible: Ruth, Esther, and Deborah.

The leadership program works to serve the student body by planning and running school activities. This Fall they will put on formal, homerooms, and assist the Worship Team with chapels. Chaplains Derek DeGroot’ 22 and Paige Deffenbacher’ 24 pray and give announcements during chapels. Foshee plans the speakers, and Foster shares the vision of the chapel team.

With many different projects the team has to work on, it requires a lot of different skill sets, and willingness to serve. 

[/media-credit] Prepping for homecoming leadership students work hard behind the scenes to pull off such a big event on campus.

“Every student has different gifts,” Foster says. “I think if you asked each student why they joined leadership, they’d tell you a different reason. Some just want to make a difference on campus, and have students’ voices heard. Then some just want to make posters, we have super artistic kids. Some have great ideas, and want to be a part of the ideas. Then we have some pretty great servants who are just ready to have a job, to set up and clean up.”

This last December, they put on a stuffed animal drive for Valley Children’s Hospital. Every child who stays overnight at the hospital goes home with a new stuffed animal. In past years, due to Covid-19, the school was unable to deliver the stuffed animals to the hospital, but Fresno Mission was happy to distribute them to the community they serve. But this year, they were excited to be able to donate them to Valley Children’s Hospital again. Fresno Christian in total raised over 100 stuffed animals this year alone and over 1,000 total in years past.

This year’s class verse is Philippians 2:3-4, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” So next time you’re at a school sponsored event, look out for student members of leadership and show your appreciation for them. 

If interested in joining leadership next year, more information will be provided by advisors soon. 

To read more from The Feather visit; Column: Amplifying student voices in an evolving state of journalism or PROMO: Serve Day 2022