CSF celebrates Cinco de Mayo

Since 1862, people in the western states and Mexico have celebrated Cinco de Mayo. And while this campus will not host a cinco celebration, the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) club will hold their annual fiesta lunch on May 7.

While many do not particularly focus on the Mexican army’s defeat of the French in the Battle of Pueblo, the post fiesta will include homemade tasties.

For only $4, the fiesta meal will include one cheese enchilada, nachos, ice-cold lemonade and a desert. For those who do not like enchiladas, cheese nachos will be available for $2.

The Cinco de Mayo fiesta is a fundraiser for the CSF Senior Scholarship. The scholarship goes to a CSF life member and will be awarded during graduation. Applicants must be an active CSF member and fill out an application to receive the scholarship.

?In the past CSF has raised approximately $400,? Ellen King, club advisor, said. ?This year our goal is to raise even more money for the scholarship. I am hoping we will end up with a total of $600.?

Ethnic groups on campus are expected to join in the celebration as the cinco battle has come to symbolize a day in which the powerless can overcome.

CSF will prepare the enchiladas on May 6. Sophomores Mary Sargent, Janae Keys-Bramlett, Tonia Keys-Bramlett will lead the lunch by helping prepare and serve it.

?On Monday we are going to miss all of our classes to set up for the lunch,? Janae Keys-Bramlett, ?09, said. ?The three of us are going to be walking around the campus making sure everything is set up right and helping prepare the lunch.?

In order to purchase the fiesta lunch, students must turn in their money and order form to advisors Molly Sargent or King by May 4.