Junior high replicates 13th century

The cultures of the old world swarmed on campus with camels and swords as the voices of vendors reverberated through the courtyard in an attempt to attract customers.

The World Market was held in the Ground Zero courtyard during school hours on April 26. Junior high students set up booths, each with a different cultural theme, along the ?Spice Route? and the ?Silk Road?, two major trade routes through various countries throughout Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East.

?It?s fun to get out of class one day and experience what we?re learning,? Brady Lee, ’12, said. ?It gives the sections in the book a new perspective when we can do the things ourselves.?

In previous years, the event was named the ?Medieval Market?; this year, the theme changed to focus on a broader venue, under new direction from history teacher Ellen King.

?The World Market brings together our entire year instead of only Medieval Europe,? King said. ?This way, the kids can apply more to what they?re learning.?

Students made copies of marketplace items from the history of their respective culture and sold them to the junior high and elementary. The items for sale included jewelry, perfume, swords and shields, among many others.

The vendors dressed as merchants representing 19 countries or regions in the 1200s.

?The students learned about their individual countries and also how essential trade is throughout history,? King said. ?I also noticed that the kids learned how to be entrepreneurs; they had to buy materials, make products, then advertise and market them to others, it was a great success.?

The market grossed over $1500, which King will distribute according to each group?s sales.

?In the future I might provide more direction for spending,? King said. ?A few groups made very interesting booths, but perhaps next year I?ll put a limit on money to spent on materials.?

Even though junior high hosts the event, high school students returned to aid in the production. Junior Sean O?Neil and seniors Megan Joy and Brittany Motte decided to volunteer.

?I?ve really enjoyed the years that I?ve been involved with the market,? Motte said. ?I’ve been involved for six years; it?s always been a lot of fun dressing up and helping set up the night before. This year, I helped grade, set up and generally anything else she (King) needed.?

In addition to the junior high efforts, the Chinese Lion Dance Club of Fresno State and the Armenian Dancers from Buchanan High School performed for the students. They also taught the students dances for entertainment for the merchants and customers through their performances.

?It?s interesting to get a new perspective on the market now that I?m in high school,? Tyler Graham, ?10, said. ?I had a lot of fun with it in 7th grade; seeing it now reminds me that it?s one of FC?s great traditions.?

For more featured photos check out Day of the Lion or World Market sales bloom.