Final band concert honors seniors

For their final concert of the year, the concert and jazz bands along with the junior high band will perform at Riverpark Bible Church in the Concerto Concert on May 15 at 7 P.M.

The concert band will be featuring four senior soloists: Hannah Wilhelm on clarinet, Jason Savage playing the tenor saxophone, Samantha Grizz on tuba and Meagan Joy on flute.

“The nature and music of this concert is much more refined so we will be wearing penguin colors, black and white,” director Chris Rice said. “This is our year-end concert, and I feel we would be best represented if we dress up.”

The concert band will be performing a wide range of concertos such as “Double Concerto” by A. Vivaldi, “Fantasia for Tuba” by James Curnow and “Flight of the Bumble Bee” by N. Rimsky-Korsakfoff.

Rice states that a concerto is a piece of music that showcases a specific instrument or vocalists with a full band or ensemble playing with them.

“I feel that it is good that we are showcasing out seniors,” Alejandra Aleman, ’10, said. “It was a building year with our new director and all of them were acting as leaders all year.”

The jazz band will play “El Burrito Picante and the Chamber of Doom” by Mike Dana, “Caravan” by Duke Ellington and Juan Tizol and “Grace” by Quincy Jones and Jeremy Lubbock, while featuring numerous soloists.

“Soloing allows you to express your creativity that is unbound by rules and allows you to go beyond the page,” Savage said. “I look at certain scales and try to get an understanding of the scales in order to incorporate them into my solos.”

Riverpark Bible Church is on the corner of Alluvial and Millbrook. The concert will be in the old sanctuary.

For more information regarding previous concerts check out Claire Kister’s April 17, 2007, article, Concert turnout motivates band.