Field Day provides break from books

Mouths filled with cotton candy, teachers in dunk tanks and jousting characterized the campus’ Field Day on May 4.

Among the discounted pizza were free snow cones and cotton candy; inflatable courses were set throughout the JV baseball field. Student leadership’s goal was in commemoration of end of the year with a spirit day.

“The goal was to provide a fun filled day for the student body and I think we did that,” Jeremy Ramos, ASB president, said. “Also the students seem to enjoy themselves and had a good time.”

The event was timed on chapel schedule, limiting the students to an hour and 25 minutes with inflatable games such as a bungee run, jousting and a dunk tank will also be available for a small fee.

“The weather was a concern at first, but then as the day went on it cleared up,? Ramos said. ?The students enjoyed the activities provided and the cotton candy and snow cones.”

What was once a cotton candy machine, soon engulfed junior Samantha Krikorian, next year ASB president, and sophomore Kevin Damm, next year ASB vice president, with layers of sugar.

“I think what went wrong with the machine was the wind,” Krikorian said. “It ended up consuming me, my hair was covered and my shirt became crystallized with sugar. I would try to spin a good one and then it would fly everywhere, but it was worth because the students were satisfied and happy; they enjoyed the day.”

In recent years, there typically was a spirit week, which celebrates the election of the next year?s student body leaders. However, due to the lack of candidates, this event will recognize the close proximity of summer and say farewell to the graduating class.

“Student Leadership decided to bring back field day because we wanted the students to enjoy it and wanted to end on a good note,” junior Samantha Krikorian, next year ASB president, said. “Also it was a way to keep the students excited for the school year, and will most likely do it again next year.”

In addition to Krikorian and Damm’s positions, student leadership elected the rest of the counsel during their fifth period class. Sophomore Brittany Schaffer will be treasurer and freshman Jackie Cowin as secretary. Also junior Matthew Nickel will be the rally commissioner.

The elementary also hosted a field day on the same day. There were 13 class booths and extra booths with food and campus apparel covered the field with various activities for the elementary.

“Field Day was a carnival style set up with track and field events where students may receive ribbons,” Brenda Warkentien (SP), position said. “I think field day went very well and the students seem to enjoy it.”

The high school was originally inspired by the elementary field day. Ramos believes this the event received more student involvement than rallies, especially the dunk tank. Leadership asked English teacher, Michael Fuller, to be the target.

“Field Day was a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing Mr. Fuller in the dunk tank,” Jennifer Boudreau, ’10, said. “Even though I did not participate in most of the activities offered, it was fun watching people do them.”