AP English receives grant for community involvement

With a specific goal of creating connections with students of another community, Jon Endicott, AP English teacher, took several senior students to the Chestnut Avenue Apartments on April 28.

Campus students teamed up with the Fresno Pacific University after-school tutoring program. The English class organized a Kid’s Carnival designed to develop youth’s desire to learn.

“Dina Gonzales-Pena, an FPU administrator, was very impressed with the event and our students,” Endicott said. “She stated she was pleased with how our students interacted with the children and how many residents came out and participated.”

Due to the English class’ involvement in the program, the Kings County Office of Education awarded the school a grant for a service-learning project, which Endicott used to pay for food, crafts, school supplies and other items used for the carnival.

For the carnival, seniors Megan Witters and Annie Hawkins worked together to organize crafts, including: jewelry making, picture frames, painting, stickers and clay. These activities were intended to be a hands-on learning for the Chestnut Apartment students.

“At the crafts table, we painted with the little kids and it was really fun,” Hawkins said. “It was the best volunteer work, because all we had to do was play all day.”

Besides crafts, the Kid’s Carnival offered many games, such as a water balloon toss and an area for basketball. Students received toys and school supplies as prizes.

“I set up the basketball hoops and threw a lot of water balloons,” Will Hierholzer, ’07, said. “We mostly just played with the kids and tried to keep them as entertained as possible. They all seemed like they were having a good time.”

Endicott considered the day a success for both the senior English students and the 60 families of the apartment complex who attended.

“I am very proud of our students who, on a hot day, gave up their Saturday to make a difference with someone outside of their comfort zone,” Endicott said. “They brought smiles to every child there and increased the credibility of the FPU program.”