• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Feather staff steps into editor roles

Midyear launch of new positions

Student journalism teaches high school students how to express student voice through writing, capturing stories behind a camera lens and so much more. The Feather continues to be a valuable source of information for Fresno Christian students, parents and the community. 

[/media-credit] Feather advisers Kori James and Greg Stobbe, have worked together for eight years.

Behind the scenes of most school events, the team can be spotted snapping pictures, recording videos, interviewing people and posting Instagram updates. While most students know of the publication itself, how much do people know about who keeps the gears turning?

Greg Stobbe took leadership of the team in 1997. His goal was not only to pursue excellence but to train students to become true journalism professionals. The team became a nationally ranked and award-winning newspaper, earning one of the most distinguished honors possible in 2021, the NSPA Pacemaker 100. This award recognizes the top 100 student publications over the course of 1921 to 2021.

Kori James joined Stobbe and the team in 2014 while also teaching high school history. She brought a fresh perspective along with her professional photography and business skills to the team, although, she was not completely comfortable in her position at first.

I have no formal journalism training,” James said.  “I felt like a fish out of water for about the first three years on The Feather. I even had staff members challenge my existence on the team and purposefully disregard my advice. However, teaching, professional photography, design, and running a business helped me bring a different set of tools to at a time it was greatly needed.”

Because of the vast amount of tasks needed to be done, the team requires many different people to fill many roles, including journalists, photojournalists, and video journalists. Additionally, there are several other jobs that fall to student leaders, including photo editors, senior editors, and an editor-in-chief.

Throughout Covid, the number of team members decreased and this year it lacked an editor-in-chief, the right-hand to the advisers. 

Despite being first-year staffers, juniors Amanda Johnson and Emma Calderon stepped up to the plate, taking on the roles of

[/media-credit] Senior editors, Emma Calderon and Amanda Johnson, ’23, first year on The Feather.

senior editors – a preparatory position to editor-in-chief. James has taught the duo for multiple years in AP classes and knew they were both capable and trainable. 

In addition to the usual duties assigned to journalists, including researching, writing, interviewing and revising, the senior editors read and give feedback on all articles written by their peers. Lunch periods are sacrificed by the pair to push out articles and have one-on-one consultations with staffers.

Even though the task sounds daunting, neither Calderon nor Johnson are strangers to hard work, and while originally neither had sought the job, they couldn’t refuse the offer.

“I actually never strived to be senior editor, Mrs. James provided Amanda and me the opportunity,” Calderon said. “We were in her AP Euro class our sophomore year, so she was able to see our potential. She offered the chance to be senior editor and we took it without hesitation.” 

The girls enjoy their work just as much as they love working with each other.

“The best part of working with Emma is just the fact that I get to work with one of my closest friends,” Johnson said. “It’s amazing to me that we both joined The Feather in the same year and are already where we are, I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

Outside of The Feather, Johnson works as a private tutor for Fresno Christian’s Learning Resource Center. Johnson endeavors to work her hardest at whatever she does in order to grow, and leave a positive impact on her peers.

Calderon plays school and club volleyball, practices piano, and works at the Farmer’s Market. Supported by her family, they push Calderon to try her best and work past others’ expectations at whatever she’s doing, in the hopes of giving her opportunities they never had the chance of.

[/media-credit] Photo editor, Bella Johns, ’22, third year on The Feather.

Another key role in The Feather is photo editor Bella Johns,’22.  She communicates with the photojournalists by handing out assignments, keeping the team organized and overseeing their domain. The photographers are truly the powerhouses on the team with a consistent workflow that never seems to end. 

As a photo editor, I have to be the voice on this team that makes sure we are all on the same plan, so communication is key,” Johns said. “I have to make sure the feature is changed every week, which typically means I have to bust out a post so it gets changed. I have to stay on top of my work and know how to manage my time.”

After high school, Johns is going to attend GCU, and plans to pursue a career in architecture and interior design.

Creative editor is a brand new position created for the fulfillment of all things creative. With growing importance to include infographics in most articles as well as on social media. Junior Summer Foshee, is in charge of visual aesthetics.

I make infographics for any of The Feather’s social media outlets, articles, as well as edit other people’s infographics and write articles that are needed,” Foshee said. “As creative editor, I face an immense amount of pressure, since I have to work inside and outside the classroom.”

The editor team works frequently with Kori James, the current primary adviser of The Feather. There are many days James wishes she was cloned to keep all the wheels turning.

Along with two Feather periods, James teaches two APUSH classes, as well as two periods of US History and enjoys her role as a senior adviser. When she is not helping students at school, she continues her professional photography, traveling, cooking and adventures with her family.

[/media-credit] Creative editor, Summer Foshee, ’23, third year on The Feather.

Although her responsibilities may seem overwhelming, she loves teaching and appreciates watching how far her students develop and grow over the course of the year.

“The Feather allows me to come alongside students with a hands-on approach to learning. It is very fulfilling to see how far the Feather has taken students in their skills,” James said. “That moment when a student successfully publishes their first story, marvels at their own creative image they captured or the realization their voice matters is my ‘Why.’ “

The last day of school is May 26, and The Feather will recess for the summer season. Next years team, which is estimated at 25 members, will kick off the new year.

For people who are interested in joining The Feather, swing by Room 602 or shoot her an email at [email protected].

To read about the staff as a whole, go to Introducing the 2021-2022 Feather Staff.

To read more from The Feather, go to Gas prices on significant rise in California or Body Dysmorphic Disorder disrupts teenage confidence.