Double the talent with the Adams duo

Getting To Know Sophia and Izzy Adams

Everyone knows the Adams twins as the sisters that can’t be told apart, but not many know them individually. There’s more to this dynamic duo then meets the eye. 

Sophia and Isabella Adams, ’24, have gone to Fresno Christian for two years and are now in the 10th grade. Towards the start of quarantine, on May 1, 2020, the family moved from Lake Oswego, Oregon to Fresno, California. 

“It was pretty difficult and scary for us moving here. We didn’t get to say goodbye to our Oregon friends because of quarantine, we just left,” Isabella said. “It was crazy being in a new city but not really meeting anyone. Because of Webex and all of the covid stuff we were pretty nervous, but the people made it really easy to get comfortable fast.”

Before the girls could ride a bike they were already hitting tennis balls over the fence with their dad. At the age of 9 their parents convinced the girls to take tennis lessons. Their journey with the sport started in Oregon, where they lived at for 6 years. Their dad was the one who got them into tennis because he has played tennis throughout his life as well.

Although their mom doesn’t play tennis the family played doubles all together; Sophia and Izzy versus Mom and Dad. They have played for 7 years against each other as of this year.

“We practice 4 times a week with our coach at Copper River Country Club. We hit on the weekends with our dad and occasionally play at junior tournaments around Fresno,” Izzy said. “The club has a ton of conditioning, point play, practice matches, and drilling. It’s incredibly challenging, but we always have so much fun.”

Izzy’s greatest achievement in the sport so far was being nominated the number one player on the ladder, her freshman year, and being undefeated during the regular season. Unfortunately she was out all of last season due to a knee injury. Sophia’s greatest achievement would have to be being voted League MVP by all the coaches in her league. 

Their greatest dual achievement was being asked to be the head middle school tennis team coaches at FCS. The girls are both very competitive when facing off in a match. They love to beat each other but they hate losing to one another, which is the major reason why they hate playing against the other.

The girls have many dreams ahead that are yet to be pursued, including to play tennis throughout high school, competing and winning in individuals again, bringing home the Valley Championships, and playing tennis for a college preferably, on a D1 or D2 teams. They would also love to compete in the Indian Wells tournament, after watching it yearly together. There is one dream, however, that outweighs all of the other dreams…

“The ultimate dream for both of us is to play at Wimbledon. It would be so cool to play in a super fancy grass court major!”

One way they can be told apart is by jewelry: Izzy always wears silver hoop earrings, and Sophia always wears gold hoop earrings and a gold necklace. Izzy also will never be seen without her 40 oz Pacific blue hydro flask.

Identical twins Sophia and Isabella Adams love spending time together on the court as well as off the court, seen here in Disneyland, April 2022

Their personalities are almost completely polar opposite. Sophia is loud, bubbly, and frequently breaks into song and dance, while Izzy is quiet, witty, and well read. Sophia is very passionate about musical theater, reading, and tennis. She has starred in nine musicals, beginning at 10 years old. Izzy enjoys reading, tennis, and cooking.

Ever since they were little, their mom has taken them to the library on weekends, and the girls would come home with a wagon full of 80+ books. The limit was 40 books per person.

Even with the pressures of the never-ending whirlwind going on in their lives, these girls continue to be on top of their work as well as their grades. 

“They are kind, thoughtful, and compassionate young ladies,” the girls’ mom said. “I believe they live out Colossians 3:23 in all that they do—academics, tennis, and in many other areas. It’s been amazing to watch them take their unique gifts and talents and use them to change our family’s lives and the lives of so many around them.”

To read more from the Feather go to Body Dysmorphic Disorder disrupts teenage confidence or Kingdoms of Asia launches late 2022 at Fresno’s Chaffee Zoo.