Movie Review: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

The multiverse breaks free in Doctor Strange sequel

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, directed by Sam Raimi, premiered in US theaters May 6, 2022. The film stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen, joined by Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong and Xochitl Gomez in supporting roles.

[/media-credit] Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness premiered May 6, 2022.

The main plot of the movie begins at Christine Palmer’s (McAdams) wedding, a former flame of Dr. Stephen Strange (Cumberbatch). In the middle of the wedding America Chavez (Gomez), appears through a portal from another universe.

She brings with her a power-stealing demon, as well as a dead Stephen Strange variant, Defender Strange. Strange and Wong (Wong), the Sorcerer Supreme, kill the being and America’s life.

The two decide to take America to Kamar-Taj, home of the sorcerers, fearing whoever tried to steal America’s unique power to travel between universes. Strange decides to go to Wanda Maximoff (Olsen), a master of magic, for help with the problem.

However, it is revealed that Wanda, corrupted by chaos magic in Darkhold, sent the demon after America. Wanda, now the Scarlet Witch, believes that if she steals America’s power, she will be united across universes with her lost sons.

Strange travels back to Kamar-Taj, and Wong begins preparations for the incoming attack by the Scarlet Witch. She arrives, massacring the fortress and killing most sorcerers residing there.

Just as Wanda begins to steal her powers, America loses control and opens a portal. She sends Strange and herself out of Universe 616 into Universe 838, where most of the remaining story unfolds.

This movie, focused primarily in Universe 838, excellently portrays the duality of Strange and Wanda’s characters. 838 shows a Wanda not corrupted by the Darkhold in an attempt to get back everything she lost, but instead someone happy with her family. In contrast, 838 portrays a version of Strange who became so desperate and power-hungry that he himself gave in.

[/media-credit] Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch.

It is important to note the difference in Wanda’s character between WandaVision and the movie. In WandaVision, Wanda, while doing questionable things, is still herself at the core – a good person and an Avenger. In the film, it becomes quickly evident just how much the loss of her family destroyed her. Pair that with the corruption of the Darkhold, and the Scarlet Witch is born.

The movie also contained some horror elements, including the Scarlet Witch’s brutal and bloody massacres of Kamar-Taj and the Illuminati. Raimi’s campy directing style surprisingly worked well and fit into the overall tone of the film.

John Krasinski appearing as Mr. Fantastic served as a welcome addition to the movie. Fans wished for this casting of the character since WandaVision aired Jan. 2021. It is hoped that Krasinski will stick with the character for Marvel Studios‘ upcoming reboot of Fantastic 4.

The poetic tragedy of Strange and Christine’s love for each other is also a focal point of the movie. In every universe, their love remains constant, as well as their failure to ever spend their lives together.

In 616, Strange is too late, and Christine marries another man. In 838, Strange dies and Christine is forced to live on without him. In a universe featured in What If…?, Christine dies and Strange destroys everything in his path attempting to save her.

The audience most likely will see very little of 616 Christine from now on. 838 Christine’s story just started, with her being the categorizer and namer of all universes. She became a scientist with a deep understanding of the multiverse and its intricacies.

[/media-credit] Benedict Cumberbatch, Xochitl Gomez, Rachel McAdams (left to right).

The hypocrisy of the sorcerers’ ways and teachings is made evident throughout the film. In the beginning of the movie, Wong labels the Scarlet Witch as evil for wanting to sacrifice the lives of sorcerers and America for her children, believing that trading lives are never worth it. However, by the end, Wong is prepared for Strange to sacrifice America just to stop Wanda.

An interesting introduction in the film took place during the mid-credits scene. In this scene, Strange is walking down the street when a portal to the Dark Dimension appears and suddenly a woman exits. This woman is Clea (Charlize Theron), niece of the dark lord Dormammu, future Sorcerer Supreme and wife to Dr. Stephen Strange. At least in the comics.

There were no insane expectations for a crazy amount of cameos just used for fan service. However, a cameo from either Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Sylvie (Sophia Di Martino) or Mobius (Owen Wilson) was expected in the movie, but never happened. This cameo would have tied together with the collapse of the multiverse and timeline as it occurred in Loki.

Some questions remain unanswered pertaining to the film. Is 616 Wanda truly dead? What does this mean for the future of the Scarlet Witch in the MCU? Where was White Vision through all of this? What does the third eye mean for Strange now that he has used the Darkhold, as forbidden?

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is currently playing in theaters.

To read more from The Feather, go to Campus teacher opens up about cancer battle, adoption process or Feather staff steps into editor roles.