Longtime journalism adviser receives highest honors

Greg Stobbe celebrated by alumni and staff

[/media-credit] Students and staff, past and present, arrived to help honor Stobbe.

The Columbia Scholastic Press Association honors Greg Stobbe as the 2022 recipient of the Charles R. O’Malley Award. This award, the highest honor bestowed by the CSPA, credits “a sustained record of outstanding teaching” in the student journalism field.

Robert Greenman, Stobbe’s longtime journalism idol, originally won the Charles R. O’Malley award in 1999. Greenman spent years consulting for the New York Times and publishing his writings. This made winning the award all the more important and poignant for Stobbe.

Students and faculty, past and present, surprised Stobbe with what he thought was a party celebrating 25 years of advising The Feather. Without his knowledge, Kori James nominated him for the award, which Stobbe was immediately accepted for.

The night began as soon as Stobbe arrived, he was greeted by over 100 people whom he impacted over 30 years of teaching and advising. The room was adorned with Stobbe paraphernalia and popcorn, a beloved snack of Stobbe’s. Decorations included buckets of kettle corn, a popcorn balloon arch, and a poster of Stobbe eating popcorn.

Alumni and teachers attended in honor of Stobbe and all that he had done for them. Even the ones unable to make it received the opportunity to send in a video for him, allowing him to hear their stories of years worth of memories.

[/media-credit] Youngest daughter Brooke Stobbe gave a heartfelt speech.

His daughter, Brooke Stobbe, ‘12, stood on stage and gave a heartfelt speech about how much his past and present students gathered that day meant to him. She spoke of how valuable his late wife, Geena, was to him and his career, encouraging and supporting him through all the difficulties of teaching.

“In my prayers for me dad, it’s asking for people in his life able to fill in all these gaps. There are all of these different people now that are missing because of the one that died,” Stobbe said. “Just having a community for my dad, who make him feel seen every day, who value him, who see his heart and his soul, and see that person that I’ve learned to see and love.”

The history of The Feather was also explored during the celebration. The official printed Feather ran from 1995 to 2010, with Stobbe joining the team in 1996. An online version started up in 2001, and the original website ran until 2015. The second website is currently in use, but a new website is expected to launch in Fall 2022.

The idea of The Feather began in 1982. At that time, the newspaper consisted of old news stories glued by hand on pieces of cardboard. That version was edited by Julie Wielandt, née Amodei.

At the end of the night, it was revealed that James nominated him for the distinguished award, and he won. As everyone applauded, Stobbe approached the stage and was handed a microphone. He became speechless, overwhelmed by all that the award meant to him.

“I truly only am able to receive it because of my students and fellow staff that stand beside me and my kids, and of course, my dear wife,” Stobbe said. “There’s many in the room who have supported, and of course the students who are willing to do this. And that is one of the greatest things.”

To read more about Greg Stobbe’s journey, go to Greg Stobbe’s life altered by cancer, visual impairment.

To read more from The Feather, go to Feather staff steps into editor roles or Campus teacher opens up about cancer battle, adoption process.

Down below is a collection of photos from Stobbe’s award party, April 29, 2021.