Bands battle for cash

Dimmed lights and blaring speakers will characterize Ground Zero as five bands compete for a cash prize on May 12. Student leadership will host the Battle of the Bands from 7-9 P.M.

Motivated by last year?s turnout, the night will serve as a kickoff to summer break. Kevin Reece will lead his band called Aspen Hollow to begin and conclude the evening.

“Battle of the bands was a big success last year,” senior Kim Weis, coordinator, said. “Students really enjoyed it and it’s good entertainment, In addition, bands on campus have a chance to showcase their talents.”

The main event will include a total of five bands: Yours Truly, with drummer Andrew Rurik, ?09; a name that is yet to be announced, featuring junior Matt Nickel; Angels of Armageddon, led by sophomore Trevor Bodie; another name that is under development, led by Christian Burback.

Each band will play a two-song set and the winners will be determined by Apsen Hollow, who are also serving as judges, at the end of the evening.

?I?m participating with a few of my neighbors because we always play together in the summertime, so we thought it?d be fun,? Nickel said. ?We just want to have fun; the money prize would be nice too.?

The first and second place winners will receive the cash gained from admission into the concert, which is $5 per person. The student store will be there as well to sell refreshments.

?Last year, it was really cool to watch,? Sean O?Neal, ?08, said. ?The number of bands and their skill levels surprised me. I?m going this year because hopefully, it will be as good as last year.?

The winner of the five band competition was a group called Caecity. They were judged on the elements of musicality, stage presence, and response to problems that could arise.