Girls’ varsity volleyball remains undefeated

Coaches calling hopes to transform program

Bump, set… kill! The girls’ volleyball team launches into the season triumphantly by defeating multiple higher-leveled teams, while placed on a Division V standing. The players’ and coaches’ dedication and teamwork are responsible for the winning success rates.

[/media-credit] Jordyn Degroot, ’25, blocks a hit from the Lion’s middle.

The head coach and director of the boys’ and girls’ volleyball, Steve Guglielmana, chose to become a part of the FCS staff because of the influence of God. 

Guglielmana believes that God called him and his family to transform the volleyball program, to exude an example of Christ.

“I am able to incorporate a relationship with the Living God in the program as we do with our volleyball academy,” Guglielmana said. “My wife and I and our family prayed about the decision and it seemed like this is where God was directing me.”

He then explained the importance for his players to find tranquility and equivalency among the four parts of each individual: the heart, mind, body and soul. 

“The scripture verse Mark 12:30 tells us this;” Guglielmana said. “Relationships come first, relationship with God first, then relationships with each other next, all the rest is small stuff.”

The coach aspires for the volleyball program to develop into a family and to maintain those relationships created for years to come.

Tayla Tarlton, ‘26, is on the freshman team discovering her preferred position, front row middle. Tarlton is the perfect example of the potential within the younger generation, and the responsibility the older, more experienced players bear. 

The matured athletes, whether they know it or not, are commended by the advancing players possessing a dynamic influence on them. 

[/media-credit] Five out of the fifteen varsity players are homeschoolers.

Tarlton confides in who she admires on the varsity faction.

“I look up to everyone on varsity, every player has great skill and character,” Tarlton said. “But out of everyone on the team, I especially look up to my sister Tori.”

This year seniors are Jazmine Davidson, McKenna Brady, Brandy Penberthy, Tori Tarlton, Annabelle Counts and Emma Calderon. Help them celebrate their final home game at senior night against Riverdale @ 5:00.

Jazmine Davidson, DS, OH and OPP, engages in every practice, game and tournament. She voluntarily sacrifices her spare time and exerts all her effort simultaneously, making herself a reliable player.

Davidson recounts the Morro Bay tournament, which was also a chance to develop the connections between the varsity team.

“The team bonding that we went through as a team, as well as playing together,” Davidson said. “It built all of our relationships tremendously.”

Eric Cisneros, the assistant coach, has coached volleyball for six years, 5 years at FCS, and at club organization, TVA, for 4 years. 

“I love the sport, I have the opportunity to play with my daughters, although I plan to continue after their graduation,” Cisneros said. 

Cisneros shares his admiration for the team and why he continues to fill any demanded positions needed.

[/media-credit] Assistant coach Cisneros is recognized for his calm and positive attitude towards his players.

Cisneros said, “I see coaching at FCS as a ministry to help encourage players in their walk with Jesus.“ 

Currently, the girls’ varsity holds the number two spot in the Northwest Sequoia League. The team earned victory over teams such as Caruthers, Parlier and Fowler, all Division IV teams. 

In the Madera South tournament, they were able to exceed expectations and won against Division II Tulare Western, and Division I Madera

Despite the achievements of the volleyball program, the program continues to lack funds to increase overall improvements. 

The nets are currently held up by car straps, outside merchandise to exemplify team spirit can only be obtained if the player’s family pays for the items themselves and the equipment is generally deficient and in need of replacement.

Cisneros discloses how to help to support the volleyball program and its players.

“Go to the athletic boosters giving, and make sure to choose the volleyball option to donate,” Cisneros said. “The entire program would like to thank everyone for their donations, verbal support, and for participating and cheering on the girls at their games.”

Down below is the schedule for all upcoming volleyball games.

Sept. 20 Riverdale @ 5:00

Sept. 22 Liberty @ 6:00

Sept. 27 Yosemite @ 6:00

Sept. 29 Chowchilla @ 6:00

Oct. 4 Fowler @ 6:00

Oct. 6 Parlier @ 6:00

Oct. 11 Caruthers @ 6:00

Oct. 13 Sierra @ 6:00

Oct. 18 Riverdale 5:00

Oct. 20 League Championships

For more Feather articles visit PROMO: 37th annual homecoming.