Baker pursues dream job

While most students play sports, study or relax, Meghan Witters, ’07, chooses to bake in her free time.

Due to her love for baking and dream to open her own baker, she will prepare the food for the kids at Hume Lake camp in Oakhurst, June 6-Aug. 12.

“I am going there because it sounded fun to me and it is a chance to met new people,” Writters said. “I also am going to see if I could pursue baking as a career.”

Witter began baking at a young age with her grandmother and continues to bake whenever she gets an opportunity.

“I started baking because when I was little I would help my grandma bake,” Witters said. “Ever since baking makes me happy. Baking is fun because I can be creative and make my own recipes.”

Usually punishment for teens means getting grounded from TV, cell phones or the computer, but in Witters case she gets grounded from baking.

“Yes it is true that I get grounded from baking,” Witters said. “My mom knows that all I really love to do is bake so when I don’t do my chores or are rude I am not allowed to bake.”

Although Witters mainly bakes by herself, she enjoys experimenting new recipes with friends

“Recently Graham and I attempted to make a four-layer cake for our friend’s birthday,” Witters said. “We made it at Hannah Wilhelm’s and nothing I ever make turns out right there. Anyways we under baked the cakes so the center fell in, then we tried to make sugar paste.”

“We kneaded it for 1 hour and it still would not hold together, so we quickly whipped up a butter cream frosting, but we didn’t put enough powdered sugar in it, so it spread easily and would not hold the cakes together,” Witters said. “We put them on the top of each other and when we put the very top one and the whole cake collapsed. It was just a mound of cake and icing. It looked funny but it still tasted good so oh well.”

Annalynne Graham, ’07, first introduced the thought of working at a camp to Witters.

“My parents worked at Hume Lake when they were younger,” Graham said. “I have been going to Hume Lake all my life so this year I decided to work in the gift shop and I told Meghan about it.”

Witters and Graham will not be the only seniors to work at Hume Lake after graduation.

Corrine Pogue, ’06, started working at Hume Lake at 11 years old and continued on until she was 18. She works in the restaurant, sport services and various other locations around the camp site.

“I think camp was a lot of fun to work at,” Pogue said. “It was really cool to see thousands of campers there. I also liked seeing hundreds of them accept Christ.”