Success demands responsibility

As another school year ends, most students lack motivation and can only envision the freedoms of summer. These mirages appear harmless; however, they distract from long-term goals.

Every homework assignment, exam and final reveals a degree of determination, which differentiates between the will to succeed or merely survive. Many slide through school by completing the minimum requirements, aiming for mediocrity, thus hindering their potential.

Apathy remains a personal decision and might lead to this thinking process: “It’s my decision, I can do what I want to; I would only be hurting myself.” Although this is true, teenagers lack completely wired neurons and first hand experience to make “responsible” long-term decisions.

High school is only four years, thus considered short-term. Students look toward the future and pursue success.

Needless to say, every student is different and therefore has a self-definition of success, although dictionary.com defines success as “the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors, or the attainment of wealth, position, honors or the like.”

For some this idea of prosperity seems accurate, but often others aspire for fame, building a family, earning a college degree or simply finding “genuine happiness.”

Just as a 5-year old fantasizes of becoming a professional singer/actress, these dreams change with maturity. Unfortunately wealth and fame are difficult to acquire, but responsibility can be developed. Although the transitions to adulthood may seem difficult, they are necessary for growth.

Whatever the ambition, remain conscious of the responsibilities that accompany those goals. Most students do not recognize themselves entering the next stage in life; they desire the responsibility of a child, but the freedom and power of an adult. According to Spiderman?s Peter Parker, ?Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: ?With great power comes great responsibility.??

For more information check out the April 13, 2007, article, Teen ‘wiring’ limits analytic ability.