Attitude adjustment redirects purpose

School is useless. Seemingly, many take this credo to heart, and act accordingly throughout each day, in most class periods. Many are stubborn to scholarship, apathetic to academics.

And even some of those who work diligently throughout the year still feel ?high school is worthless.? But I feel differently, especially this year. Knowledge now holds importance, and so is each class that provides it, regardless the subject.

The summer after my sophomore year was a catalyst for me. I decided, after two years of (admittingly, now) ?skating by,? I would attempt to not just make the grade, but I would learn something. I would not graduate a ?student as product.?

Thankfully, and not surprisingly, this change in attitude really worked. I attempted to apply a meaning to each class, and especially those classes I found particularly boring or difficult.

English class helps to form the tools of creativity, persuasion, and expression we certainly use throughout our entire lives. The ability to convey ideas helps to display personal thoughts and opinions in a powerful fashion.

Math class is also critical. The specific skills may not be used each day or perhaps not even each week; but the business of math is to think differently, more quickly, more effectively, and more focused. It allows us to discover new ways of accomplishing things.

Some say that history classes cannot benefit anyone now, as the events of the past cannot apply today. However, as said countless times, a look at the past provides a glimpse to the future. To avoid the mistakes of history is to form a more perfect world today.

Some who read this may still stand firm and unyielding. However, learning occurs even in those who refuse to apply it?turning in homework, even coming to school each day, teaches responsibility.

I know that next year, I will continue this new attitude; and I expect it will continue to shape me. I urge everyone to do the same.