Cheer performs at Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Georgia

Four high schoolers and two junior highers selected to perform

[/media-credit] Six Fresno Christian students travelled to Atlanta, Georgia to perform, Dec. 29-Jan. 1.

For the first time in Fresno Christian history, several cheerleaders were chosen for the FCA All-American Cheerleader team for the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta, Georgia, Dec. 29, 2022-Jan. 1, 2023.

Four high school cheerleaders were selected – seniors Madi Foster, Lindsay Logan and Tori Tarlton as well as junior Ava Flores. Ana Pascual and Vivian Grech were also selected as the only junior highers from the FCA summer camp.

There are several steps in order to be chosen as part of the FCA All-American cheerleading team. First, cheerleaders participate in one of their summer camps. While there, they must learn the FCA Supreme routine in the few days they attend. This is an advanced routine that has to be performed perfectly to even be considered for the award. 

After that, the girls perform a cheer jump of their choice, like toe touch or hurdler. All of this is performed in front of FCA judges who grade performance.

Out of 120 cheerleaders at the camp, only 13 were selected for the All-American team. Six of those were from FCS. In total, 42 cheerleaders were chosen from across the United States.

Once selected they are given the opportunity to travel to Atlanta, Georgia for the Peach Bowl. However, the chosen few still have to pay for their own expenses, including plane tickets, hotel rooms, food, etc.

They spent four hours practicing the day before the game to prepare for the performance and cheered for both Ohio State and Georgia in the performance and parade, Dec. 31.

During the trip, senior Tori Tarlton enjoyed spending time with Foster and Logan. 

“The trip was very fun,” Tarlton said. “I got to be with my two seniors and we had a really great time together and performed well.”

Her favorite part about cheer is dancing and after high school, she plans to try out for the Fresno State cheerleading team. 

[/media-credit] The All-American team spent four hours practicing in preparation, Dec. 31.

“My favorite activity during the trip was performing at Fanfest,” Tarlton said. “Fanfest is an event before the football game where all the fans go to participate in a bunch of activities and then there is a big stage that we performed on with the rest of the All-American cheerleaders.”

Senior Madi Foster’s favorite part about being a cheerleader is stunting, but she also enjoys the team environment surrounded by her friends.

“My favorite part about the trip was cheering in the parade before walking into the Mercedes Benz stadium and doing it in the pouring rain,” Foster said. “It was really fun to see just how much the fans were invested into everything, and with the game being that close it just made it more fun to watch.”

Senior Lindsay Logan’s favorite part about being a cheerleader is stunting, tumbling and being a part of a team and working together. In the future, she plans to try out for both the Fresno State and GCU cheer teams.

“The trip was really fun, I have never been to Georgia so it was cool to experience a new place especially because I got to go with Tori and Madi,” Logan said. “My favorite part about the trip was walking in the parade. It was pouring rain but it was really fun because everyone was having a good time.”

Cheer Coach Hope Villines shared how happy she was for those selected.

“I couldn’t be more proud of our FCS cheerleaders that were chosen for the FCA All-American Team!” Villines said, “This was such an honor and it was great to see them take full advantage of the opportunity to be at the ChicFilA Peach Bowl! They made memories, doing what they love, that will last a lifetime!” 

While some seniors plan on pursuing cheer in the future and prepare to move on, the team can still be seen cheering at games. 

To read more from The Feather, go to Girls soccer ’22-23 season wrap-up or Sense of Style: Elevating your look.