PROMO: Softball 2023

The Eagles are back for the ’23 softball season

Junior Rachel Martin is a catcher for the Fresno Christian girls varsity softball team. (Elise Bessey)

The 2023 Fresno Christian girls softball season is in full swing! The girls had a successful season last year, finishing league 9-1 and making it to the third round of playoffs. It has been up and down for the program, with challenges during the last couple of years. However, the team is under new leadership and ready for the upcoming season.

Returning captain Rachel Martin, ‘24, is committed to Arizona Christian University women’s softball. Nevertheless, she is invested in this current season setting plans in motion. 

“As a team, we have talked about the goal of playing for the audience of one, so really focusing on using our talents to glorify God as a team,” Martin said. “And we are hoping to go to playoffs and win playoffs this year.”

With the team’s high ambitions of winning playoffs, it is not easy to be an underclassman on varsity. However, freshman Jordyn DeGroot has stepped up to the plate and chooses to work hard and make a spot for herself on this team. 

Freshman Jordyn DeGroot starts her first year as a pitcher for varsity softball. (Elise Bessey)

“I definitely think this season is pushing me to keep up with the more experienced players and to be a better version of myself in softball,” DeGroot said. “A lot of the team have played together before, but they have been encouraging and welcoming to us.” 

For Senior Jazmine Davidson, joining the team has been incredible, but that makes leaving it that much harder.  

“I’m excited to bond with the players and hopefully do very well this season,” Davidson said. “But I will definitely miss playing with my best friends on the team, and playing softball in general.” 

Pre-season is coming to a quick end, league play begins on March 17. Go out and support the Eagles at their first home league game on March 24!

To read from The Feather check out Mental toughness in athletes or GED: An alternative to traditional education.