Sense of Style: Out of the comfort zone

Everyone I’ve ever met has a clothing comfort zone. Some don’t even realize they have one at all. Even I have a comfort zone. Finding what’s out of your comfort zone and wearing it is, in my opinion, one of the most important things you can do to develop your style.

[/media-credit] Pieces that have bold patterns or colors can be especially challenging to wear out.

In saying this, I don’t mean just wearing things you don’t like and BAM you have a better style. I’m sure most people when shopping have at some point said something along the lines of “I like this but I could never wear it” or, “I could never pull that off”. This is exactly what I mean by going out of your comfort zone. If you love a piece of clothing, fear should be the last thing to stop you from wearing it.

When I was a freshman, I did a lot of things to try and elevate my style. One of these things was a week-long challenge where I wore one ‘out of my comfort zone’ item of clothing a day. From this challenge, I learned some of the most important things about myself, others, and of course about fashion.

The biggest thing that I learned is this- So what if people stop and stare? It doesn’t matter why they’re staring, be it for good or bad reasons, it matters that they’re looking. If you never do anything different, nobody will ever notice, start noticing, or care. Once you overcome the fear of what others are thinking, it becomes a lot easier to start wearing what you like.

If you do this, you’ll even find like me that people are kind. They’ll notice and sometimes say something encouraging. If you see that someone has tried something new, or you like the way someone dresses- say something! Encouragement is so important in finding your confidence- whether it’s to or from someone else.

[/media-credit] An outfit I put together with socks and heels- everyone makes mistakes okay?

As someone who is scared of change, I understand how difficult putting yourself out there can be. Clothes are easily the most significant way to express yourself, and can sometimes make you feel even more vulnerable to judgment. It’s okay to take your time to try new things, easing them into your life little by little. However, the most important part is the first step.

For me, that was when my shy ninth-grade self came to school that week wearing suit pants, Nike socks, and heels. I don’t remember a time in my life when I felt so afraid and so confident at the same time. From then on, it was that feeling that I looked for when I put together outfits each morning.

So I challenge you with this- next time you see something bold that you love but you’re scared to wear in public, pick it up and just try to wear it. Confidence comes entirely from the inside, realizing nobody can change your confidence but you is the surest way to step out of your comfort zone.

To check out some of my other blogs, read Sense of Style: Elevating your look and Sense of Style: Following the trends.

To read more from The Feather, go to Moving Forward: Navigating Friendships or BLOG: Beckoning series, No.3.