America votes new Teen Idol

Votes are tallied and the 6th season finale announced. While from January to May over 100,000 auditioned, few earned the right for stardom but only one would be crowned. The 2007 winner and new American Idol is Jordin Sparks.

As 3,000 fans filled the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, lights flashed on stage and the audience waited over an hour for the 2007 American Idol to be crowned. Ryan Seacrest, the American Idol announcer, opened the show, prepping the crowd for an exciting finale.

As audiences watched the May 22 finale, over 74 million of TV viewers voted. Not much seemed to separate finalist Jordin Sparks, 17, and Blake Lewis, 25.

A coin test decided who would sing first and the choice was given to Blake. Truly a gentleman, he gave the choice to Sparks. She chose second, so Lewis took the stage.

Singing Jon Bon Jovi?s ?You Give Love a Bad Name,? Lewis? performance seemed his best, but the vocal still lacked the power of his challenger. While Sparks was strong in her first song, Christina Aguilera?s ?Fighter?, she seemed tentative and the panel of three judges decided that Lewis first performance stood on top.

The second round began and Lewis changed his tact, serenading the crowd with a romantic ballad by Maroon 5, ?She Will Be Loved.? Judge Simon Cowell considered the song to be too safe and Lewis did not make an impact on the audience.

Sparks, however, sang a favorite from country singer Martina McBride, ?A Broken Wing? and “wowed” the audience. Cowell?s only comment was for Sparks was, ?Now that was good.? At this comment, the crowd screamed its approval.

The final each contestant sang ?This is My Now,? a song written by a fan and sent in for the annual songwriting contest. Putting their personal touch on the inspirational song, Sparks and Lewis attempted to prove their worth as duo winners of American Idol.

Unfortunately, for Lewis, fans cringed at his off-key, less than stellar performance. The judges were frank about his disappointing finish. However, Sparks stole the show and changed any doubts in the judge?s opinion about her ability as a singer. Her voice seemed to get stronger and more powerful as the evening progressed. Some comments from the judges were ?You?re the best singer tonight,? and ?You?re an angel.?

Ending with an exciting routine from Chris Daughtry, a finalist from last year?s Idol season, gave hope to this years first runner up and proved that loser?s, too, can still have a successful career in singing.

And while the 6th season is over, the 12 finalists will be touring the United States and will be making a Fresno stop on July 20 at the Save Mart Center. Tickets went on sale on May 19.