Volleyball reunites alumnus, old teammates

When students receive their high school diplomas, many leave with the thought of no return. In spite of this, some still come back as visitors or assume the position as teacher or coach.

While Christina Cabias, ’07, attends Fresno State with a major in athletic training, she chose to become an assistant coach for volleyball, softball and possibly soccer.

“I love all the sports I am helping with,” Cabias said. “I enjoyed my time playing each sport. I feel I have something that I can give back.”

Cabias considers this campus a special place because of its small school atmosphere and standards. Throughout her four years on campus, she participated in volleyball, soccer, and softball.

“I have played travel softball at one of the highest competitive levels and it is always about winning at all costs,” Cabias said. “Fresno Christian’s athletics program is about so much more than winning. Fresno Christian has had some very successful teams and I have had the privilege to be on some of them, but winning at all cost is definitely not the basis of the athletic program. It is about growing in all aspects of life, having fun, making lasting relationships while learning and playing sports that you are passionate about.”

Shailey Jones, varsity volleyball coach, says Cabias brings more than just experience to the court.

“Christina is doing a great job being an assistant coach,” Jones said. “She is very uplifting and she has an eye for what the team needs to work on. She is learning how to watch and see open spots or holes that will help the girls be more successful.”

Athletes find Cabias’ new role as an advantage for the team.

“It is great to have Christina back and it is also a lot of fun,” Quinn Livingston, ’10, said. “It is good to have her back because she has played on the team before and knows what goes on.”

Cabias believes her past volleyball and soccer seasons remain as the highlight of her athletic career.

“There are so many memories I have had playing volleyball that there is too many to name, but going undefeated in league two years in a row was awesome,” Cabias said. “In soccer my favorite memories came from the Garces tournament and making it to the valley game against Central Valley Christian.”

Along with volleyball and soccer, Cabias also holds memories from softball.

“We were never a competitive team in softball. I would have to say my sophomore year playing softball was my favorite,” Cabias said. “Robert Foshee (former softball coach) left the field to go get something and while he was gone we thought it would be funny to hide from him. So some hid in the bushes, some in cars and myself and another girl hid in the containers where the bases and equipment was. Foshee got back and was confused where we all went. Then we all popped out and he wasn’t very happy but we thought it was pretty funny.”

Although Cabias reflects on memorable events, she admits to some disappointments on the court and field.

“My worst memory from playing sports was losing to Mission Prep,” Cabias said. “We lost to them in both volleyball and soccer in playoffs the same year.”

Despite loss, Cabias managed to form lasting friendships with fellow teammates.

“Over the years I have played on sports teams and I have bonded with the team. Unlike a public school most people make rivalries, but here I got to know the players and become friends with them,” Cabias said. “I will miss leaving behind all the amazing girls I had the privilege to play with.”

She plans to go to graduate school and become a physical therapist.