Adventure PE challenges physical norm

Every year, students in physical education want to change the line up of sports. For the first time, Adventure PE will offer physical education students different opportunities to experience a diverse range of sports. A group of 16 students will travel to Santa Cruz to learn the art of surfing on Sept. 21.

Scott Callisch, head of the PE department, chose sports not commonly associated with normal physical education, such as surfing and kayaking.

?The purpose of Adventure PE is to excite people about physical activity and to expose them to sports that they can participate in after they graduate from high school,” Callisch said.

While some may go for the surfing, Santa Cruz also has a Boardwalk for meals and entertainment after the physical activities are over.

This summer Jennifer Boudreau, ?10, experienced the thrill of the sport for the first time at Hume Lake San Diego. The adrenaline rush while on her board lures her to continue to ride the waves.

?It took me a few tries to finally get up and stand on my board, but as I rode my first wave into the shore it felt exhilarating,” Boudreau said. “I felt proud to accomplish my goal of riding the wave into the shore.?

Other students, such as Micaelah Aleman, ?08, plan to learn how to surf at Santa Cruz. Club Ed International Surf and School Camps will provide for the surfing lessons and equipment on the Sept. 21 trip.

?Since I am senior at our high school,? Aleman said, ?I want to be able to say that I tried every activity that our campus offers. I want to expand my physical activity experiences while bonding with my classmates.?

The opportunity to go off campus and participate in physical activity outside of the school campus, influences several students to take part in this first year event.

?For me, PE is my favorite class of the school day,? Nathan Hinojosa, ?09, said. ?I like physical activity because I am not stuck sitting in a classroom. I am able to go outside and run around on the grass field.?

Future Adventure PE events include biking in Yosemite National Park in October and kayaking at Cayucos Cayucos in November.

?Don?t be afraid to sign up for any of these events,? Callisch said. ?Someone cannot say they dislike a sport until they try it.?

Students may sign up for these events at the high school office.