Basketball coach adds new title

Instead of ending his athletic career after college, new athletic director, Chris Schultz pursued a semi-pro football career in Bavaria, Germany, in ?94.

?One day after we had lost our fifth straight game, I was riding back on the bus with a bunch of angry, drunk Germans,? Schultz said. ?In that moment I realized I should have been at Fresno Pacific (University) graduating. I found myself discouraged, but then I realized that God had called me to be in Germany for a reason. The experience taught me how to deal with disappointment. We did that in Germany and we will do it at Fresno Christian.?

Schultz, the former computer II teacher, replaced Scott Callisch as the campus?s new athletic director, becoming only the second AD in the school?s 30-year history.

?I am looking forward to working with him,? Cynthia Ward, junior high office secretary, said. ?He is very easy going and we both work well together under hectic conditions.?

Schultz is a 10-time letterman at FC (4 years tennis, 3 years basketball, 2 years football, and 1 year baseball), and played Fresno Pacific basketball from 1991-1992.

?In the spring, with baseball and tennis, I only went to games,? Schultz said. ?I didn?t have time for practice. Right now we don?t have enough kids playing sports. We need more kids to come out in order to grow our program.?

A Fresno Pacific University alumnus with a degree in Intellectual History and biblical and Religious Studies, Schultz will receive his Master?s Degree in Leadership and Organizational Studies this spring.

?Right now we are trying to move into a position where we can be competitive,? Schultz said. ?If we do that it will be good for our school because more kids will come out and support our teams.?

The athletic program will undergo changes with more students encouraged to join the football program in the fall.

?There will be more focus on our youth programs,? Schultz said. ?We will build a solid foundation of athletes in our elementary and junior high programs so they will be prepared for high school. We are also asking our high school coaches to have more oversight and a better connection with our youth.?

Although only 64% percent of the student body participated in high school sports in 06-07, Schultz hopes to improve to 90%.

?The lessons you learn when you are on a team can?t be found anywhere else,? Schultz said. ?Sports prepare you for life?s experiences. They will prepare you to communicate with your spouse, and teach you to work with people to achieve a common goal.?

Students who join sports receive top coaching from qualified men and women Schultz said. He went on to say that new coaches Shaylee Jones (volleyball) and Michelle Wright (softball) are just few of the great people on staff at FC.

?When you join a sport, you get to hang out with people who really care about you and will do whatever it takes to help you improve,? Schultz said. ?The coaches here will have an impact on and off the playing field.?

Despite the responsibilities of his new position family still ranks first on Schultz?s list. Jennifer, his wife of eight years, Kamryn (6), Addison (4), and Tessa (21 months), frequently visit his office and attend school functions.

Following in the footsteps of Callisch as an AD/coach, Schultz will head the varsity boys? basketball team later this year. On top of this he also will oversee the spring sports (tennis, track, baseball, golf and softball). Schultz thrives on a busy schedule however and expects to be well prepared.

?He is incredibly disciplined, conscientious, and passionate,? Mick Fuller, head junior varsity football coach, said. ?He organizes himself and his activities down to the finest detail. He delegates well, but assumes responsibility for all aspects of his job.?