Campus programs receive support

Although most of the student body participates in sports, choir, band and other events each year, the need for equipment and uniforms requires extra funds. Even when new campus sports are introduced they are often asked to fundraise.

Ericlee Gilmore started a cross-country team and athletes have shown interest. Small numbers, however, require the runners to fundraise.

?We?re selling Entertainment Books and selling Italian food at lunch one day to raise the money we need,? Doug Daniel, ?10, said. ?We may be doing a bake sale or something like that as well.? .

Football needs new equipment and pads each year. Athletes must raise $100 to cover themselves, and other funds to pay for provisions.

?One way we fundraise for new weight machines is by doing lifts. For every pound lifted, we got a penny,? Tyler Haritzalde, ?11, said. ?For JV kickoff dinner, we sold tickets for $15 to family and friends. Another way we fundraise is by asking companies to support us by buying a banner for $400-500 with their company name on it.?

For more information on the football dinner, visit Claire Kister?s Aug. 21, 2007, article, Dinner attracts hundreds, heralds football season.

Choir fundraises for annual trips and uniforms each year.

?One way choir fundraises is by having a tri-tip dinner to pay for our end of the year trip,? Rachel Guthrie, ?10, said. ?For $35, we sell tickets to family and friends who want to support us. We also go to other schools occasionally to listen to other choirs sing. Fundraising is beneficial because it allows the choir to go on trips that help us become better singers.?

For more information about choir fundraisers, visit Chelsea Joy?s Oct. 14, 2005, article, Choral members raise funds for Colorado trip.

While the school gives money for essential needs, the extra activities or equipment must come from fundraising.

?Every public school fundraises. Their clubs and sports raise the extra money they need just like us,? Principal Gary Schultz said. ?Our school provides enough money for each program?s basic needs. It?s when you do things over and above when you need to fundraise.?

Journalism and drama sell candy bars to raise funds for the biennial New York trip.

?Kids like chocolate so we sold chocolate bars,? Tom McEntee, drama coach, said, ?The candy bars are sold for nine months. We sold 95% of them before the New York trip. We ordered the candy bars from Reader’s Digest.?