Spanish III to visit Supermercado Vallarta

Supermercado Vallarta, a recently opened Mexican grocery store at the corner of Butler and Chestnut in Southwest Fresno, plans to host Beatriz Foth?s Spanish III class for a tour on Sept. 7. Students will be required to complete a worksheet during the tour and will be allowed time to grab lunch.

Foth, the 25 students in Spanish III class, and two or three parents will travel by bus to the supermarket.

Abigail Schoettler, ’09, thinks it is important to advance her Spanish speaking skills because she goes on mission trips to Mexico.

?I?m definitely excited!? Schoettler said. ?I love food, and this is another way to learn about cultures in Fresno.?

The supermarket offers a wide selection of Hispanic and Central American foods. Students will choose their own lunch off of a menu which includes pozole, menudo, chicharrones, pupusas, flan, tres leches cake, and agues frescas, to name a few.

Ellie Mullins, ’09, took and used it during spring break 2006 when she visited Mexico. Additionally Foth has invited native Spanish speakers and culturally diverse food to class.

?It is a good experience to expand our horizons,? Mullins said, ?but I?m not sure if I will like the food.?

This will be the first trip to the supermarket, which opened last November.

Scott Orcutt, ’09, likes taking Spanish III with Foth because she has the class sing.

?I?m excited to see an ethnically based store,? Orcutt said. ?Also, I really like Spanish because it?s a fun language to speak.?

The students plan to depart at the start of lunch and return by the end of seventh period.

?The purpose of this trip is to look a variety of foods which come from Spanish speaking countries and that people here don?t eat,? Foth said. ?The students will see food that might not appealing to the mouth or stomach, but this will help them become aware of other cultures.?