Seniors bond over weekend getaway

The responsibility for the senior retreat no longer weighs on teachers’ shoulders. Four students of the senior class have been chosen to plan the getaway to, Calvin Crest Sept. 8-9.

Molly Sargent, dean of women, and Jon Endicott, associate principal, selected four students with different personalities to represent the senior class in organizing the retreat.

?We want the seniors to really bond with all their fellow senior classmates, Sargent said. “We also want them to span out past their close circle of friends.?

The committee consists of Sean O?Neal, Kim Swift, Ryan Martens and Kara Linkowski. Although the selected seniors plan to reduce free time, the activities will force bonding.

?Old people don?t know what teens want, O?Neal said, ?no disrespect to the teachers, but teens are much different from adults. The activities we planned range from rope courses to wrestling to Wii and some unexpected surprises here and there.?

The seniors will be split into groups of 12 for the Olympic themed initiatives, selected by Scott Falk, campus pastor. At night, each group will present a skit and some students will share testimonials.

?I am not looking forward to spending nights in a sleeping bag and the gross rooms,? Renee Idsinga, ?08, said. ?I also dislike waking up early and having a schedule, but I am extremely excited to spend quality time with my best friends.?

Laidlaw buses will transport students and will leave the campus parking lot at 10:00 A.M., on Sept. 8. They will return the following afternoon at 2:30 P.M.

Teachers want students to bring: a change of clothes geared for outdoor activities, toiletries, jacket, sleeping bag, flashlight, Bible and notebook.

?I am so excited to finally go on the senior trip that I?ve heard so much about,? Melanie Nachtigall, ?08, said. ?I am ready to make our own senior video and tell the underclassmen what a fantastic time we had. I?ve heard from the previous years that the experience is unforgettable.?