Karnival lures kids

Student leadership prepares for an ambush of students in full sprint towards booths in effort to win prizes at the annual Kids Karnival, Sept. 14.

“I have done the Kids Karnival for over five years,” Josh Tosland, leadership adviser, said. “It is a great time for the younger kids and a good chance for our high school students to serve them.”

Leadership will host the annual event during the junior varsity and half of the varsity game against Mission Prep, at Clark Intermediate. The booths will open at 5:30 P.M. and run until 8 P.M.

“I remember all the booths from last year and I am hoping they have most of the same ones this year,” Corbie Batesole, sixth grader, said. “My favorite booth last year was the bounce house, I tackled my friends and we had a great time.”

The cakewalk, beanbag toss and face painting are only a few of the 14 booths included in the Kids Karnival. Leadership began hosting the carnival themed event to encourage students of all ages to attend football games.

“I am not only going to work in the Karnival for community service but to also make it enjoyable and memorable, for the younger students” Micaelah Aleman, ’08, said. “My favorite booth last year was the pie in the face booth. I got to shove a pie in Katie’s (White, ’09,) face and smear it all over while she could not do anything.”

Many new ideas have been brought back from previous years at the Karnival. One tradition is “crazy hair” in which kids style and color hair in a unique fashion.

“I think it will be a success,” Tosland said, “because no matter what kids will be there and activities, these two combinations always make it a success. This year we will have the most booths that we have had in awhile. We continue to include the pie in the face, last year it was surprising because it takes two really willing people to take pies in the face.”

Senior ASB president, Samantha Krikorian has help in the Kids Karnival for the past four years. Although participation is mandatory for leadership students to set up, run and clean, any high school student interested in community service hours may help.

“There will be a varieties of different booths for the younger students,” Krikorian said. “It gives them an opportunity to partake in a high school event. It is a huge deal because it is the same time as the cheer clinic, it makes it more fun for the kids and it is about serving them and to get them excited about school.”