FCA organizes first meeting

In effort to cope with poor sportsmanship or an unhealthy competitive spirit, Don McClanen founded Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) in 1954 to encourage student athletes to represent Christ. Although David Barton first organized the club campus in 1994, Ericlee Gilmore continues promotion after Barton left campus in 1999.

“I am excited about the year and seeing students gather in fellowship,” Gilmore said. “Christ and sports go well together; students should attend FCA to build relationships with God and their teammates.”

The club, one of three on campus, along with California Scholarship Federation (CSF) and a new Spanish club, will congregate every other Friday, alternating breakfast and lunch meetings, in room 604. They will focus on a new sport every month.

The group and president, Joshua Palmer, ’08, aim to motivate students to show God in their actions on and off the playing field.

?FCA is a great club because we really try to band together and motivate our student body,? Palmer said. ?Through the fun and food we have at the meetings, it?s a great chance to fellowship with other students with the same Christian mindset.?

All meetings are open to all and playing sports is not required. The focus this month will be on volleyball and sub sandwiches will be served for $3.

“Meetings are a time to spend in fellowship with other Christian athletes,” Quinn Livingston, ’10, said. “The speakers are good and it is encouraging for me to hear about how God is working in their lives.”

Campus participants may also partake in the FCA Annual Golf Challenge on the Brighton Crest Golf Course near table Mountain Casino off Fraint Road, Oct. 15.

For more information check out the Sept. 20, 2006 article FCA serves pizza, fellowship.