Art creates ‘wow’ factor, local artist showcases photos

The sun slowly sank down behind the Sierra Nevadas, casting a soft glow on the shimmering lake. A photographer peered through his viewfinder in search of the perfect photo.

In a split second, the scene was perfect. He pressed his finger down on the shutter button and captured the panorama.

Junior Ellie Mullins’ father Paul thrives on capturing the beauty of God’s artwork. He enjoys using the talents God gave him. After college, he decided to combine technical skills with his passion of photography.

“I like looking at my father’s photography because I know where he took each picture,” Ellie said. “Most of his photos are from the Central Valley or the Sierra Nevada Mountains. My favorite photo is a scene overlooking the valley called Saddleback Sunset.”

Today (Sept. 8) Paul is premiering 18 new images at his gallery in Old Town Clovis from 5-8 p.m.

When Paul decided to focus on photography in 1991, he took night classes at Fresno City College.

“Before I became a photographer I had a job of designing graphics for advertisement,” Paul said. “While I was in college, I became interested in photography and I started to take night class to help me pursue my career.”

As Paul began his career as a photographer, he learned to persevere and trust God to guide him through this new stage of his life.

“At the beginning of my career as photographer it was hard to create a portfolio of pictures for customers to view,” Paul said. “I had to take numerous pictures and keep persevering. In a few years I was connected with the field and had a network of clients.”

Each time Paul travels back to his favorite scenic spot in an unnamed part of Yosemite National Park, he sees “God’s creation in a new light.”

“I call it the ‘wow’ factor,” Paul said. “Every time I go back to the mountains to take more pictures, everything is fresh and new. I love to gaze at God’s creation and experience His glory.”

Paul has sold his photographs not only to the Fresno market, but overseas as well. Most of the photos turned artwork though have been created from a local spot within a afternoon’s drive of their home.

“I like being a photographer because I can work with my hands and be creative,” Paul said. “I get the satisfaction of capturing a scene that was special to me and then share it with others.”

Though Paul and junior Brittany Stobbe, photographer for The Feather, both have an interest in photography, Stobbe uses her camera for photojournalism. Photojournalism is the use of photos to tell a story or inform the viewers.

“I enjoy photography because I like being able to go in to places where other are not allowed,” Stobbe said. “I have the privilege of capturing the moment and getting the inside scoop on the campus events.”

After an invitation from journalism advisor, Greg Stobbe, Ellie joined The Feather staff as a photographer.

“By being a photographer, I can capture the different events and special moments of campus life,” Ellie said. “I also would like to learn more about my camera and how to take high-quality photos.”

Paul has words of advice for those students who have yet to pursue their passion in life.

“Be willing to take some risks and find a career in something you enjoy,” Paul said. “It is amazing what God can do when you step out in faith and trust him through all of your circumstances.”

Ellie plans to carry on her father’s work. Currently, she practices with her father to learn the tricks of the trade.

“I like having my father as a photographer because he teaches me many things about the art of photography,” Ellie said. “We went to Yosemite together and he taught me how capture the landscape to make a high-quality photo.”

The Fresno Arts Network is a project by the Fresno Arts Council. And according to its website, wants “to create a portal for all artists in the Fresno region” and focus on arts and culture. The organization is promoting Mullins’ work this month.

In order to view Mullins’ work, visit his gallery at:
Mullins Studio Gallery
525 4th St, Clovis, CA
(559) 322-0395

The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.